GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSmap 62s - Trouble Finding Satelite

Started by jasonrichards, October 19, 2012, 10:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

If it can't find satellites after some fixed amount of time, the device typically will ask if it should continue searching. If you just ignore that alert, it will probably drop into simulator mode as you saw. Typically, it will show the last place the device acquired a signal.

Simulator mode is intended for using the device indoors, so it isn't constantly searching. But it can also be used to simulate routes and POI searches at a distant location when planning a trip.

jasonrichards

oh i got a little excited :) but now i realize it :) the map came back its really slow scrolling but hopefully once i have a chance to get the gps signal here it will be of use

SmugWimp

If it says "Simulating" then it's not really locked on to any satellites, but using an internal algorithm to 'act' like it has signal. I use this for demonstrations and stuff. It's not 'real'.  But you will be able to verify if the maps you want are loaded.

Again, not having a GPS62s, I can only say that there is a setting (in the nuvi, it's tools > settings > system > GPS Simulator on/off) to turn that simulation on and off.  Find it and turn it off.  Turn on the unit, and leave it either outside, or as close to your window as you dare.  If it eventually comes up with a dialog box that says "trouble finding satellites, continue searching?" you want to say "Yes" (saying no will invoke the GPS Simulator again). and wait for at least 4 satellites to get a fix on the unit. It very well might take a while.

Just as a passing comment:  The only place I've been where I've 'lost satellite reception' while outside was driving in downtown Seoul Korea, where you can get into a block with 30+ story buildings that surround you.  Anywhere else I've been that has been similar - New York, Tokyo, Manila; no issues. And of course my day to day environment barely has two story buildings. You should be alright pretty much anywhere that is free of any close obstacles.

Satellites use a frequency in the low Gigahertz.  Regular AM radio has a long wavelength that can 'bend' to the curvature of the earth. Most HF and higher (like TV/FM Radio and GPS) uses a higher frequency which results in a shorter wavelength. These signals are more dependent on "Line of Sight", as the wavelength isn't long enough to 'bend'.  Only 4 satellites are needed for a 'fix' (3 to triangulate position, the 4th helps in elevation), so typically no matter where you are, you can see at least 4 of the 24 available.  But it still sounds like you're going to need to re-inventory your satellite dictionary.  Until that's complete, you'll still have issues.

Enjoy the day!

Cheers!

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.

jasonrichards

Guys;
good news on my end: as I left the device stationary this morning next to the window. and at one point I realize after keep looking for sats, they found all of them and found my location.

I didn't even had to get out of my apartment. Now about downloading any sat information? I don't know if it did, but I left it in the same location for at least 2-3 hours. so it must have, now after I switched off, and switched on again it does show my last location correctly where I am, with question mark, and it still doesn't find and connect to sats indoors right away, but I am assuming now it at least functions.

I actually did a bit research on how people use this device and what they do with it, I am thinking to sell it as it is in good condition and now maps working and updated in it, so I maybe putting out for sale.

I will search the resale value online.

Thanks for all the replies, it is been very helpful all the way making this work.