GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Rino 530hcx can't find idaho topo map

Started by Gregoat, October 02, 2010, 04:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregoat

When I put the 2gb sd card in the reader and open it first I get a Garmin folder.  Opening the folder I get a file gmapsupp.img.  When I open that file I get a box that is titled Image-The following disk images failed to mount.  Reason-no mountable file systems.  ?????

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Gregoat on October 05, 2010, 08:06:20 AM
When I put the 2gb sd card in the reader and open it first I get a Garmin folder.  Opening the folder I get a file gmapsupp.img.  When I open that file I get a box that is titled Image-The following disk images failed to mount.  Reason-no mountable file systems.  ?????
you can't click on the gmapsupp.img file and have it open, and it's normal for a Mac to assume that an .img file is a legacy disk image. Apple has been using that extention from the time they first added a harddrive to their early Macs. ;) As you have a card reader, send the maps to the card in the reader and then install the card in the Rino and see if that works better.

Gregoat

Downloaded the maps to the 2gb card in the reader and get the same error message when I try to open the gmapsupp.img file.  Are my Mac and this model of Garmin just not compatible? 

Indrid Cold

What error and open it how?
Macs work just fine.

Gregoat

I tried to open the gmapupp.img file first in the card reader and then in the rino by double clicking and also by highlighting that file and then hitting file and then clicking open.  Got the same images failed to mount message.  I don't know if it makes any difference but when I go to the information page on the set up map page the only maps I see are two that I downloaded off of this site.  Those being the Alaska topos and the British Columbia Northwest trails.  I am pretty sure they are loaded on the rino internal memory.  Thanks again for anymore suggestions.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Gregoat on October 05, 2010, 12:36:53 PM
I tried to open the gmapupp.img file first in the card reader and then in the rino by double clicking and also by highlighting that file and then hitting file and then clicking open.  Got the same images failed to mount message.
I wrote earlier that you can not do that, a Mac is going to think that file is an Apple disk image. Please stop doing that.

With the card out of the gps, start up the gps and what maps are on it?

If you see Topo maps then they are in an internal memory, but I didn't think those units had any internal map memory...

Gregoat

In my last post I skipped over the part where after I downloaded the map to the 2gb card in the card reader I loaded into the rino.  I then fired up the rino and after it acquired the satellites I went to the map page and zoomed all the way in and out several times and did not see any sign of topo maps.  At that point I started trying to open the files to see if there was any difference in the status.  As far as what maps I see when I turn on the unit there only seems to be the preloaded garmin map.  No sign of any topo maps.

Boyd

The Rino 530hcx does not have any internal memory: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=8523#specsTab

QuoteAbility to add maps:    yes
Built-in memory:    none (expandable memory only)

Is this the map you are using? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/45/

Did you download the Mac version? Follow the instructions "loading the maps with a Mac" here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

After doing this, the map should be installed on your memory card. You should have a folder named Garmin on the card and a file named gmapsupp.img inside that folder. As Indrid has said, you cannot "open" .img files on your mac, they can only be accessed on the GPS itself.

See page 26 of your owners manual, "Map Information Setup" for how to enable the map on the GPS: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Rino520HCx_OwnersManual.pdf