GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Rino 530hcx can't find idaho topo map

Started by Gregoat, October 02, 2010, 04:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregoat

New to this forum but here goes.  I have a Rino 530hcx that I am trying to get the idaho topo maps loaded unto.  I have a MAC ibook g4 laptop that I am using to upload the maps to the unit.  I have followed the instructions for doing that, that are shown on the GPS File Depot site.  It is telling me that the maps have been installed successfully but I can't get them to display on the Rino.  I have an 8gb sd card installed in the Rino.  Anyone on this forum that would be so kind as to give me some pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-Oz-

Did you actually load the maps onto the card or just installed on your computer?

Did you follow this tutorial: Loading the maps on your GPS from a Mac
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Gregoat

Yes, I followed the tutorial and my Rino's screen was registering data being transferred.  The installer page also said the transfer was successful.  I just can't find it.  Any other ideas?

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Gregoat

Just tried zooming in to the max and still no topo map on the screen.  When I go to the setup map page the only maps I see installed are the alaska and british columbia maps that I downloaded from the GPS file depot site.  Got any other ideas?

alpine

So what you're sayin is that you installed the maps on the card? Did you look at the card and see the image file there (in a Garmin folder) after you loaded it?

Gregoat

Obviously I am new to this.  How do I look to see what is on the card?  Do I need some sort of a card reader?  I can't seem to find any way to access the card from the rino.

-Oz-

There should be an option to go to Interface mode and then it will show up on the computer as a hard drive.

Did you load any other maps after loading the topo? If you did it will have deleted the topo map.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Gregoat

I just looked through everything on both the rino and my ibook.  Couldn't find any option in garmin mapmanager or any of my other applications nor on any of the pages in the rino that are labeled interface.  I also reloaded the idaho topo map and all the prompts are saying that the transfer was successful.  Could this have anything to do with my trying to use the Mac and my web browser is Safari?  Got any other ideas. 

Gregoat

Think I may have figured out my problem.  I did finally figure out where the interface page is in the system setup menu.  When I access the usb mass storage page and open up the file I get an error message that says no mountable disc found.  Further investigation led me to the discovery that I have an 8gb micro sdhc card installed in the unit.  The owners manual and some further research on the internet would lead me to believe that the rino won't work with the hc card.  It will only use a standard sd card.  Does this make sense?

Indrid Cold

Use Webupdater to make sure you have the latest software in the gps and that MAY take care of it for you...

Boyd

Could be hard to find a non-SDHC micro card. Perhaps a 1GB or 2GB? But the old type cards are generally getting hard to find these days. Here is what Garmin says about cards; it does not mention SDHC vs SD however

QuoteQuestion: 
What is the largest SD/microSD card supported by an expandable memory device?

Answer:
There are several products within the Outdoor and Fitness families that can accept expandable memory cards in SD or microSD format. These cards, for some devices, can be used to store active track-log data, however, all expandable memory devices can utilize the additional memory to store MapSource products.

There are limitations to the size of SD/microSD card used and to the number of detailed mapping segments that can be recognized by a device.

If at the most recent unit software version, these limitations are:

There is no limitation to the size of SD/microSD card used but the device will only recognize 4GB of detailed mapping
Each expandable memory device will be able to recognize up to 2,025 detailed mapping segments
If 2,025 detailed mapping segments are loaded to an SD/microSD card but does not reach 4GB worth of data, the unit will not show any more detailed mapping than what is provided by the mapping segments.

Last modified on:  10/12/2009

Gregoat

Now I am really confused.  Used web updater and reloaded the software.  Then got a card reader and a 2gb sd card.  Downloaded the idaho topo onto the 2gb card and still have nothing.  When I go to the interface page and open the file I get the message that there are no mountable files on the disk.  I am at a loss.

-Oz-

When you look at the card reader what files are on the microSD card?
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

huntinernie

I have 3 530hcx the image must be in a garmin folder it cant read a card biger than 4g and some times the card has to be reset in its slot in the garmin . A image over 2g slows down the unit.