GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Nuvi 750 Install Help

Started by Indrid Cold, August 21, 2010, 10:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indrid Cold

Quote from: stoltchI'm sure there is tons of notes on installing Mapsource to my Garmin NUVI 750? I'm looking for installing, moving back and forth from my regular street maps to the topo's and general tips and help. Is this in a forum? I searched a little bit and must have looked in the wrong places. I am not a rookie to GPS technolgy and computers but don't want to screw up my NUVI 750. I have used Mapsource for years. Thanks for any help in advance. Chad

***Mod note: Sorry Chad, meant to move your message, not remove it :-[

stoltch

Thanks, I will start reading. Thanks for the quick response! Gives me something to do tomorrow.

Indrid Cold

You will probably get some tips from nĂ¼vi owners so make sure to check back.

stoltch

WOW that was easy! Do you no if it's ok to run multiple maps? Maybe AZ topo, US streets (forgot name, came pre-installed in Nuvi). Is there a limit? I would guess to much data? Any experiences good or bad running multiple maps at the same time?
Thanks, Chad

Indrid Cold

Well, you can pretty much only see one standard map at a time (sidestepping transparent maps for the time being), I look at it like having paper maps laid out on your desk; one will cover another. So to view a topo, you want to disable the city map...

Do you have a memory card in the unit or are you working with just the available free memory???

stoltch

I have a 4 GB memory card. It seems that its a independent drive. I read it fine on the computer but it doesn't seem to extend the system storage  capacity for more maps? I have been trying to figure it out for about an hour or so. Re-format sd-card? Thanks for the input. So run 1 type of map type at a time but overlays are OK? Chad

stoltch

I found out what I was doing wrong in Mapsorce loading maps to device SD card. I choose drive letter (F:Removable Drive) that the was in the pull down tab. I'm loading a South West map which is rather large (1G+) and it will take some time. Hopfully all goes well. It's interesting. I un-checked all maps in the maps viewable screen in the Nuvi 750 and it still had road maps in it. There must be some internal ROM inside the unit loaded at Garmin? This is really cool. For years I have had to bring a labtop on excursions around our beautiful state. The portable Rhino has a small screen (no color) which is like watching a movie on a 2" screen. Years ago I used to go with Microsoft Streeta & Maps, Mapsource, and Mapsource with the Rhino all at once. The labtop is still great for larger viewing areas for yourself and 2 people. I'm sure there are several tricks to the trade as I go but this is again is really cool. GPS Depot kicks butt!
:)

Boyd

If you disable all the maps in the Nuvi's map settings, you will be looking at the basemap. The basemap is stored in the file \Garmin\gmapbmap.img on the internal drive. You have an older model with a more simplistic basemap, but starting with the next models after the 700 series, the basemaps contain routable roads and DEM (Digital Elevation Model) data that produces shaded terrain. The terrain data is very low resolution however, so it only display when you zoom way out to the 20+ mile scale IIRC. Nevertheless, I don't think your 750 has this feature.

You can install one additional map in internal memory, and a second one on your data card. The files  will each be named gmapsupp.img. Starting with the 1200/1300/1400/1600 series, Garmin did away with map filename restrictions, so you can add as many map files as you want on these Nuvi's and call them anything you like.

On your unit, you can still install multiple maps. Get all your maps into Mapsource, then choose the areas you want from the first map using the selection tool. Now use the dropdown menu in the upper lefthand corner to choose another mapset and select the parts of it that you want. Repeat this as needed for all the maps you want to load. In the Maps pane on the left, you will see all the different segments of the maps you have selected this way.

Connect your nuvi and choose Transfer > Send to Device. Make sure that Maps are checked. This will transfer all the different maps into a single file on the Nuvi named gmapsupp.img. On the Nuvi, you will be able to turn on and off the different maps using Menu > Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info.

Beyond this, there is another limitation to the amount of map data you can install. The nuvi can only access 4,000 individual map tiles. So it's possible that you will exceed this limit before you exceed the capacity of your storage card. Map tile size is determined by the mapmaker, so there is no "rule of thumb" as to how large an area can be covered by a given number of tiles.

stoltch

Thank you. Good information. I will work on it today.

stoltch

You can install one additional map in internal memory, and a second one on your data card. The files  will each be named gmapsupp.img. Starting with the 1200/1300/1400/1600 series, Garmin did away with map filename restrictions, so you can add as many map files as you want on these Nuvi's and call them anything you like.

I must be running on half brain this morning. Does this mean
gmapsupp.img for all of these 1200/1300/1400/1600 series?

Open the files and save under gmapssupp.img as one>

Do I get the files at Garmin? Sorry, a little confused.

Boyd

Since you don't have a more modern nuvi (1200/1300/1400/1600 series), none of this applies to you. Garmin changed the way maps are named and where they are stored on the new models. The only "upgrade" for you would be purchasing a new unit.  :)

But don't feel bad, because topo maps look terrible on these new model, in spite of the extended file names. They will look much better on your Nuvi 750.

You need to use Mapsource (or Basecamp) to install maps on your unit in most cases. They always create a single file name gmapsupp.img. One source of confusion is that .img files are actually "containers" which can have a variety of things inside of them, including multiple mapsets.

Most of the maps on this site come with their own installers. You can purchase maps from Garmin, but they don't offer any free map downloads.

Read what I posted again, and follow it exactly. This is how you can merge multiple maps into a single gmapsupp.img file using Mapsource.

QuoteOn your unit, you can still install multiple maps. Get all your maps into Mapsource, then choose the areas you want from the first map using the selection tool. Now use the dropdown menu in the upper lefthand corner to choose another mapset and select the parts of it that you want. Repeat this as needed for all the maps you want to load. In the Maps pane on the left, you will see all the different segments of the maps you have selected this way.

Connect your nuvi and choose Transfer > Send to Device. Make sure that Maps are checked. This will transfer all the different maps into a single file on the Nuvi named gmapsupp.img. On the Nuvi, you will be able to turn on and off the different maps using Menu > Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info.

stoltch

Got it. I'm very happy with the 750 for now. It sounds like the better or newer models have a little way to go still. But that never changes. I get detailed enough topo images for my needs. Bigger screens are always nice but this is still a vehicle unit which in my opinion must have a balance of size, portability, and mounting. Again, great site and I'll try to return the favor someday.

Boyd

Glad that it all worked out for you. In many ways, the 750 and its cousins was one of the best Nuvi's without some of the glitches that have plagued the newer series. But the new 3700 series has finally taken a big step forward with a spectacular capacitive glass touchscreen and much faster processor than any of the other Nuvi's along with true 3d views that can be rotated and dragged around in realtime. Not cheap though...  ;D

Enjoy!

-Oz-

FYI: If you are using the Arizona Topo you should download the new version that came out today!

And glad everything is working for you.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!