News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New Maps for Canada, US and Mexico

Started by sockmonkey, October 08, 2020, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sockmonkey

mikkowus
I don't want to sound insulting but will assume we're starting from scratch as it's come up on this thread, pm and other posts on the forums since day one.  In the case of my maps it's more insert that install

-Download the windows version from the link below.  When unzipped, you should have a file name CA-TerritoriesTopo.img
-Get a micro sd card, 16 or 32gb should be fine
-format card in fat 32
-Create folder on card and name it "Garmin" without quotes
-Copy CA-TerritoriesTopo.img to the Garmin folder on the sd
-May need to power cycle, go to maps setting to enable

The longer way
-go to link and download the mac version, extract and open until you're at CA-TerritoriesTopo.gmap
-install garmin basecamp, if mac I think you also need a map install program as well
-In windows, go to C\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps(may need to show hidden) if not present create a folder Garmin and within that create a folder Maps
-copy CA-TerritoriesTopo.gmap into the Maps folder, open basecamp and it should be in the drop down for maps, from there you can plug the gps in to your computer and send the maps to gps

I believe for mac, extract, click on gmapi and it will "install" or place where it needs to go

Let us know how it goes,  out of curiosity what is the something for the Yukon

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/839/

LongRide

Quote from: sockmonkey on October 13, 2020, 03:47:02 PM
First of the Canadian Topo maps is up.  This one includes the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Hope I can get an answer here, hope its simple.

I dowloaded this map to my desktop, shows as a 7z zip file. I want to put it into Garmin Basecamp and load it onto my Montana 610.

I'm not getting it to load. Maybe I need an extra step to unzip it or something. Someone who knows the steps help me out please.

Don't really need Alberta and Saskatchewan, if there's a smaller file of BC and Vancouver Island

sockmonkey

LongRide,

It is fairly simple, though there is a specific process to follow.  It looks like you are interested in the CA-WestProvTopo.  I'm going to assume you are using Windows.  I'm not sure what version you downloaded already, but you you need to download the MAC version.  Yes, it is zipped but it is in standard zip format not 7z, as that's an allowed format to upload.  With whatever tool you use unzip that file and you should have a folder.  In that folder it is named CA-WestProvTopo you should have two folders inside that named, WestProvTopo and WestProvRouteable, both of these will end in .gmapi  Depending on your archive utility you will need to open that folder you desire one or two times until the end is just gmap.  (If you see Product1, etc you've gone too far and back up one step).

Go to C\ProgramData and make sure show hidden items is enabled.  You may see a folder named Garmin with a folder within named Maps, if not create them and you should end up with C\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps   Copy the folder ending in gmap to the Maps folder, now open Basecamp and this map should now be in your drop down on the toolbar and select it.

Now transferring to you GPS.  Since you are not necessarily interested in the whole mapset I suggest your install Garmin Mapsource https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209). if you don't already have it.  I find it easier than basecamp to select smaller areas to install to the gps, not just my maps but also Garmins own maps or any other compatible maps for that matter.  Hope this helps!

Sockmonkey

Runolfsdottir08

sockmonkey

I've recently uploaded updated maps for Canada and Mexico.  I'm beginning to process US maps now so maybe later in the week they will start rolling out.  There won't be any significant changes to the maps, primarily updated data and minor/unnoticeable tweaks.  The one map I'm probably not updating at this time is Alaska.  For the last couple of years there is the "flooding" occurring in that area of the map.  When is is converted from osm to garmin things get out of wack.  As far as I know I'm the only map author who has kind of corrected this.  I finally figured out what was up and had to open about 20 raw data tiles in JOSM and make several edits/changes to the tags.  It was very laborious and I'm not up for doing it again right now.   

You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment. 

sockmonkey

Awhile back I was looking at one of my maps in Basecamp.  I was seeing extra lanes on the entirety of a freeway!  I wasn't seeing it on the GPS or Orux, nor Mapsource.  It only duplicates "motorways" in OSM speak essentially freeways, no other roads.  It turned out that one of the style sheets was producing this so I omitted it from processing as it is for routing, which my topo maps don't have. 

I'm going to begin uploading some of the re-processed maps with updated data.  I've made some minor changes to my workflow to save a lot of time in the processing of my maps.  For the time being I am only going to be uploading topo maps, I had done an update or two of North America maps with routing, but I'm going to pause that for now.

extra lanes...lanes removed

okieboater

sockmonkey,

Thank you for the Canadian maps.

I did the windows option from the down load page.  The file needed to be unzipped.  I did that.

Ended up with two files which look like disk images to me.

What do I do to use the maps in mapsource or basecamp.

Thank You

[email protected]

sockmonkey

You must of downloaded the Central Prov, the previous update I did had a routable and a topo versions, but my current updates are topo only, and I was intending to upload this evening.

The Windows version is actually intended for your gps unit.  Basecamp or Mapsourse won't open them, though gpx see and Fancy Route will they don't appear as intended.  For viewing in BC or MS download the Mac version and follow these instructions which I wrote for another user:

QuoteIt is fairly simple, though there is a specific process to follow.  It looks like you are interested in the mapname.  I'm going to assume you are using Windows.  I'm not sure what version you downloaded already, but you you need to download the MAC version.  Yes, it is zipped but it is in standard zip format not 7z, as that's an allowed format to upload.  With whatever tool you use unzip that file and you should have a folder.  In that folder it is named mapname you should have one folder inside that named, mapname   these will end in .gmapi  Depending on your archive utility you will need to open that folder you desire one or two times until the end is just gmap.  (If you see Product1, etc you've gone too far and back up one step).

Go to C\ProgramData and make sure show hidden items is enabled.  You may see a folder named Garmin with a folder within named Maps, if not create them and you should end up with C\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps   Copy the folder ending in gmap to the Maps folder, now open Basecamp and this map should now be in your drop down on the toolbar and select it.

Let us know if this works for you and thank for the interest in my maps.