GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How Do I Load Maps On My GPS Unit?

Started by -Oz-, February 04, 2010, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyjason18

How do I load the adirondak high peaks map on my garmin GPSmap 60csx?  When I try to use the basecamp software and load the map to the device I get an error that  says GPSmaps 60csx does not support garmin custom maps.

Boyd

The message says it all. This kind of map is not compatible with the 60csx (I also have a 60csx). You need a newer device to use this type map The GPSMap 62 and 64 support Custom Maps as do the Colorado, Dakota, Oregon and Montana series along with the eTrex 20/30.

If you look at the map page: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/608/ notice the icon that says "GARMIN Custom Map". All maps of this type are incompatible with your GPS.

rah

I haven't had much difficulty loading maps - at least in the past I have not.  However, today I keep getting a message to the effect that "no unlocked maps were found" after I attempted to load two maps onto my Etrex 30 (fairly new model; little over a year old).  Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?  I utilized Map Install and Base Camp, to no avail.

I suspect it is something obvious I am doing wrong, but I can't identify what that might be.  Would appreciate any feedback/help anyone can offer.  Thanks.

jayserfer

Hi all, newbie here.

I have the latest version of basecamp and windows 7 professional.  I cannot get basecamp to load the CA topo 2011.  I have tried saving it in every location I cant think of.  Any ideas?

Can I use the MapSetToolkit to do this?

jayserfer

I found the answer in another thread.  My problem was with windows 7.  Heres what worked for me:

That map has a bug that many older maps on this site also have. It is basically fine, but there's a problem with the installer that prevents it from showing on Windows 7 64 bit and newer. However there is a simple fix, as mentioned by the author:

There is an issue with the 64-bit installer used in the PC version of this mapset. If this is the first mapset you are installing on a Windows 7 64 bit PC, you will need to FIRST install a mapset which used a 32-bit installer, 'My trails ....' http ://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53 works and is small in size.

If you have already installed the map, uninstall it. Then install the mytrails map from the link in the quote above. You don't need to "use" the map, just install it. That will create some resources that will allow the NC Topo to work properly.

Now re-install the NC Topo and it should work properly.

ridefreemc

Quote from: rah on August 31, 2016, 03:54:43 PM
I haven't had much difficulty loading maps - at least in the past I have not.  However, today I keep getting a message to the effect that "no unlocked maps were found" after I attempted to load two maps onto my Etrex 30 (fairly new model; little over a year old).  Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?  I utilized Map Install and Base Camp, to no avail.

I suspect it is something obvious I am doing wrong, but I can't identify what that might be.  Would appreciate any feedback/help anyone can offer.  Thanks.

I have this same issue (mac and an Etrex 20x) and cannot click "continue", as it is greyed out. I must be missing something simple, but heck if I know what that is. Any ideas?

Edit: I may have found the answer. It was simple, in that I didn't have the files in the "Garmin" folder!

Boyd

ridefreemc

Boyd that is helpful - thank you. I just didn't know where to drag/place the maps that were downloaded. I just dropped them in the Gamin folder on my SD card, but funny that they got loaded onto the device instead. Anyway, I got them on the little GPS. I will likely use maps, but the GPS may come in handy for my upcoming hikes in Missouri and Colorado. Nice to have a backup.

overshot03

I am having issues downloading OSM too routable for the northeast into Basecamp. I am using Basecamp 4.6.3 & Mac OS 10.12.5.

I download the file to my computer then try to open the file with either Basecamp or Garmin Map install.  Each gives the same message that it cannot be installed. I have then opened Basecamp and tried to import the file and get the same message each time.

I have followed the GPSfile depot step by step and get the same thing,

Any suggestions on how to get this to wok? Thanks!

Boyd

You should not need to "open" or "import" a map into Basecamp. When you double-click the .gmapi or .gmap file, Garmin MapManager should open and ask if you want to install the map. If this didn't happen, then you probably have not fully installed the Basecamp package.

Look in your Applications folder - is there a program called Garmin MapManager.app? If not, then download/install Basecamp from here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

If it still does not work, then there is probably some issue with the map you are trying to install.

popej

Quote from: overshot03 on July 22, 2017, 04:40:42 AM
I am having issues downloading OSM too routable for the northeast into Basecamp. I am using Basecamp 4.6.3 & Mac OS 10.12.5.
Could it be USA Northeast OSM Topo Routable? In this case downloaded file is an archive compressed by 7-zip. You need to unpack it first. Try to use keka for unpacking:
http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

overshot03

Thanks all, up and working great now.  I did have the full set of Basecamp installed with Garmin map installer.

All it took was to unzip the file, then open it with Garmin map installer.

I compared it to an event I did today with recording the track on Gaia, and then imported the track GPX in and overlaid it on the northeast OSM too with trails, and it was incredibly accurate.
Thanks again-

Derek Heffernan

Hello, I'm trying to download Maps for Canada from Sock Monkey.  I followed the directions in previous posts, and downloaded the Mac version, but there is no *.gmap file. 

Thank you Sock Monkey for these maps!  I'm trying to put them on my etrex 30x. 

sockmonkey

To Derek,
Not sure what directions you are referring to in the previous posts, but all my Mac version maps have a *.gmap. Once you have extracted the zip file you will have a *.gmapi folder (if Windows).  Depending on which extractor you used, you may need to open/left click one, maybe two times to open to reach the *.gmap folder.  If you see Product 1 you've gone too far and back up one.  Hope this helps.

sockmonkey

Also, why not download the "Windows" version of the map you want, extract and copy the *.img to the Garmin folder on your SD card on your 30x