GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How Do I Load Maps On My GPS Unit?

Started by -Oz-, February 04, 2010, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jcalhoun

I just purchased an Astro 320 and I am having trouble downloading the SC Topo maps....  I downloaded a map from this website and saved it to my SD Card....  The problem I am having is my Astro 320 isn't reading the SD Card...  Please help...  Thanks so much...

Jcalhoun

I am using Windows 8 and I downloaded the link for the 32 bit and I still cant get it to work...

caryt

I am a first time gps owner 60 years old and not savvy on any of this stuff.
I have a new Garmin Montana 600 I have loaded base camp on my win 7 pro and also have dnloaded the Nevada topo and the Ca. catopo11 from this site.

The 600 just has whatever they loaded and I don't need any of the preloaded maps as my JK has all the street maps I need.

I've tried to search for a direct answer but..no luch.

What I would like to do is either load both maps to the 600 or just the NV and put the other on a SD card.

Its the file sizes that I can't find a answer to as to if I can load all or just how big the files take up.

Sure would appreciate help.

Thanks.

Seldom

Figure the maps expanded will be about 120% the size of the compressed download.  Get yourself a 16GB (microSD) memory card.  Both maps will fit with lots of room for Birdseyes.  Note that Big Desert Southwest includes all of NV, and a healthy chunk of CA, and is routable.

Boyd

I also have a Montana 600. It has 4GB of internal memory and there aren't any preloaded maps, only a simple basemap that you shouldn't delete (it only takes 51MB, so it wouldn't free up any significant space anyway).

There should be almost 3.5 GB of free space on the Montana internal memory, and most likely that's more than enough to load a number of maps from this site. Now it isn't a bad idea to get an SD card, but I would say it's optional. I have been using my Montana for over two years and have City Navigator plus 4 of my own maps installed. I am not using a card and I still have about 1.5GB free space in internal memory.

caryt

redjack

I am also having issues getting the downloaded map files installed into basecamp. Note that your tutorial is over 3 years old and for basecamp 2.0.9, current version of basecamp is 4.2.3. You tutorial needs a serious update.

The installer for the map I downloaded, minnesota topo (mntopo11.tdb) installs the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\mntopo11, rather than in basecamp.

Also, the instructions for manually loading the extracted .img files is over 4 years old, the software referenced is no longer supported by the developer, and also doesn't work.

Could really use some help with getting the maps installed.

Thank you

Seldom

Quote from: redjack on October 24, 2013, 06:34:15 PM
Note that your tutorial is over 3 years old and for basecamp 2.0.9, current version of basecamp is 4.2.3. You tutorial needs a serious update.
Installers written for 2.0.9 still work with current BaseCamp.  Try installing http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/ (with BaseCamp closed), and see if that solves the problem.  If not, you'll need to explain your symptoms more completely.  Don't know what software for "manually loading" IMG files you are referring to, but the technology for Garmin vector maps is at least 8 years old, so what you are referring to is just thoroughly tested.

mnnewb

This may not be the right place to post this, but I'm having trouble loading maps correctly onto my Dakota 20.  I'm new to this all, but downloaded BaseCamp fine it seems, downloaded several maps into BaseCamp and they show up fine on the computer in BaseCamp.  I loaded them from BaseCamp into the Dakota 20 seemingly ok, they show up under map set up and I enabled them, but I get none of the street/road/trail/topo/other detail that's in the maps.  It's like I didn't load anything at all.  Minnesota Topo and US Planimetric - North Central were the two I tried.  I tried them one at a time, in the order listed previously.  I removed Minnesota Topo from the GPSr before trying the Planimetric.  The Minnesota Topo did change the maps I saw, but was nothing like on the computer.  With the Planimetric there was no difference at all.  In fact, I used to have interstates and major highways but those are gone now as well.  I tried a lot of combinations of disabling/enabling the maps loaded from the factory.  Any help would be much appreciated.   

mnnewb

False alarm on the post just above.  It has started working now, not perfect, but I guess that may be due to screen size.  I changed profile and it started to work.  Not sure why, as I changed back to where it was and it still works, but must have triggered something. 

Torquatus

Quote from: Seldom on October 24, 2013, 09:39:34 PM
Quote from: redjack on October 24, 2013, 06:34:15 PM
Note that your tutorial is over 3 years old and for basecamp 2.0.9, current version of basecamp is 4.2.3. You tutorial needs a serious update.
Installers written for 2.0.9 still work with current BaseCamp.

I am experiencing the same challenge.   I just installed BaseCamp version 4.2.5 and the menus operate very differently than what the gpsfiledepot.com tutorial shows for version 2.0.9.

I downloaded the map installer at: gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/424

I then ran the installer (424-7010-oregon_topo_install.exe) on my machine, which does indeed install to "C:\Program Files (x86)\mntopo11" by default -- is this the wrong directory?

When I run BaseCamp, it cannot find the installed files.  Instead I get a window that says "No unlocked maps were found for this device."

What am I missing here???  Thanks.

Seldom

What OS?
If (Win7 or 8)/64 bit you need to install http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53 also.  See notes in red on Oregon download page.   

ronbo3851

Well I've downloaded and installed 2 different maps and neither one shows up in Garmin Basecamp in the drop down box from the tutorial. Looking for help. Thanks.

Russ1217

I am also one of those frustrated individuals who cannot load maps. I have a new Garmin GPSMAP64s and I have been through all this stuff for hours on end. My problem is when I click on MapsInstaller, it comes up with my device recognized, but the words "No unlocked maps were found for this device." Then the continue button is greyed out, and I just can't get the NY topo map (which is stored in a folder with dozens of ".img" files) from my computer into BaseCamp. I will pray deeply and sincerely for anyone that can help.