News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

using img files

Started by RankNewbie, February 13, 2009, 01:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Oz-

Quote from: RankNewbie on February 27, 2009, 08:50:32 AM
question 1:  if I checkmark two maps that cover the same area,,, what happens?
ALl of the GPS units allow you to turn on and off maps.  How to do it varies between units.  Its normally under Map Info.

Where is the london city map? I'll add it to the site here so people can find it easier.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

RankNewbie

<sigh>  it's a brave new world.

I got the freebie update to 2009 maps; apparently when it installed it wiped out any and all maps on the Nuvi.

geopainting looks interesting; then I saw on some msg bd that MapSource cost $30, so went to look at that (garmin.com) - the download doesn't work unless you have a MapSource product, but there is no definition of "MapSource products" -

tried Map Manipulator which is supposed to translate .img back to .mp - got a bunch of black dots on a gray background.  fascinating.

I'm stunned that there is no readily available freebie utility that will show you what the heck is in that there nnnnn.img file.

Don - the London city map link is a "contact the author by email' - which I have done but without reply to-date.  I'll ask if he'd like to link/post it here.

Boyd

Quote from: RankNewbie on February 28, 2009, 08:58:40 AM
<sigh>I'm stunned that there is no readily available freebie utility that will show you what the heck is in that there nnnnn.img file.

GPSMapEdit (as per my link above) is the program which can do this and you can use the freeware version. I'm stunned that you didn't even try this before reaching such a conclusion. ;)

To use MapSource, first download the free training center software here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

That will install a crude basemap on your computer. Now try to install Mapsource again. It will see the training center basemap as a "product" and you will be all set. Inside mapsource there is a dropdown menu to choose maps. See if it lists City Navigator as an option. If not, then go back to garmin.com and see if you are able to download the 2009 map update again. That will install the City Navigator maps into Mapsource.

I think the "gotcha" is that Mapsource has to first be installed on your computer. If it is, then when you download a map update it is installed to work on both the GPS and your computer.

RankNewbie

Boyd -

well, I'm first inline when it comes to 'dense' - but that site says it's shareware, download and then email for a key.

<training center, etc.>  standby - will do

RankNewbie

Boyd -

you're right; installed training center, MapSource installed without complaint.

post install did cold boot.

file open, no option for img file, file all, click on img, not supported
HELP file search on img - no topics.
find device, device found by name and serial number
transfer maps from device:  no maps found. 

curious software, that.

-Oz-

This tutorial details how to get mapsource: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/
This tutorial show you how to load the map.  You don't actually open the file.  Most of these maps have an installer that puts it directly into mapsource so follow these directions: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

RankNewbie

Dan -

I seem able -

I say "seem" because I'm not in London I can't see the img file map on the gps...

- to load the map via SendMap.

the problem is I want to see _WHAT_ is on the map.  I got MapSource up and loaded and running.  it confirms my prior ufo sighting:  the London tube map is a collection of dots and names.  apparently one is expected to know one must calibrate and overlay those dots on "some other map"

obviously, just like the routing functionality, "maps" need to be approached with a seriously signficant degree of non-belief.  which as I stated, reinforces the concept the user need to _see_ what is in the img file before bothering with all these thousand hour upload / downloads.
also download GPSMapEdit and it appears to have unregistered copy capabilities which simply reconfirmed all the prior ufo dots and text observed.

so I said, okay, the tube map is useless - I have not the skills to overlay, calibrate, trweak and squeak this nonsense.

I'll just "unload" it - yeah, cute idea. 

SendMap produces nothing on "sync GPS" - not found a way to unload stuff so I just deleted the whole dang directory and am copying from a backup to overwrite the unit \garmin\ directory.

one hour six minutes to usb transfer 1.42 gb.  I think Garmin needs to seriously rethink their 1200 bps COMM speed approach.

-Oz-

what gps is this that still has comm? most are usb now.

And all of my maps have screenshots for this exactly reason.  I'd assume the map is just tube stations; which really would just be points of interests (thus dots and names)
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

RankNewbie

oh, the nuvi connects by usb; but not the speed.  there's something that throttles data transfer and its apparently in the unit itself.

if I get an sdram card, I suppose I could use the desktop card reader to load the data.

I found many interesting maps here direct in img form - including UK:
http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/

Boyd

For some reason, only the very newest Garmin units have USB 2 interfaces. USB 1 is dog slow. But I agree there's something else going on there. My Oregon and my Nuvi 205 seem very inconsistent in terms of transfer speed, and copying FROM the unit is much faster than sending TO it. OTOH, my Nuvi 5000 is lightning fast in both directions. Strange...

RankNewbie

first, I must say - thanks to all - I appreciate the input.
great site / resource.

I'm off to merry ole'England and we'll see how the OpenStreet map performs.

obviously, DIY GPS'ing is a bit more complicated than "simple"
- for me, such one-off needs do not justify the easy route of "just purchase a Garmin product"

in my case the DIY route has an issue -
by the time I have mastered the techniques needed and my next one-off need, one of two things will have occurred:
I will have forgotten how to do "it"
or
technology has 'changed'

at any rate, it is certainly an adventure!

I will report my findings on return.

RankNewbie

<I'm baaaaaaaaack!>

my finding have been found, and the news is dismal.

using the nuvi 350 in London/UK:

severe problems acquiring satellites; could be the urban environment....
could be poor antenna; could be . . . .

sitting on the bench in an open space park, acquired satellites.
while sitting on the bench my "location" started slowly wandering around. 
at one point the nuvi had me roughly wandering aimless half a mile north of the bench my butt was parked on.

fascinating . . .

the UK OpenStreet map - as I downloaded, uploaded, employed it
- open to significant user ignorance and error -
is not routeable/searchable/<whatever the right term is>. 
using menu functions "Where to" produced "Enter state name"  oops.  UK doesn't have those - nor could I get it to "recognize" anything like county names.

note that I should very much liked to have tested such functions before I left, but there's no way to do that on the 350 . . .

the displayed scale kept jumping from large to small / small to large.  as a walking tool, utterly useless given the inability to keep an appropriate scale on the screen.  this only adds to the utterly useless inability to locate an address.

eventually just turned it off and used the paper maps.  way more easier.
note that as it is primarily intended for automobile use, my criticism as a "walking tour tool" may be unjustified.

so, I've reloaded it with the USA updated maps, and it's certainly a device I will be leaving at home, when headed outside USA.

Boyd

Quote from: RankNewbie on March 14, 2009, 09:15:32 AM
note that I should very much liked to have tested such functions before I left, but there's no way to do that on the 350 . . .

Actually there is a way. Go to Menu > Tools > Settings > System and turn on the GPS Simulator. Now zoom WAY out until you can find London. Zoom back in to a location you want to test. There should be a button at the bottom of the screen "Set Loc". Tap that and the Nuvi will believe you really *are* there. That will show you what to expect from searches and routing. You can even simulate walking/driving a route.

RankNewbie

Boyd - system settings include
WAAS/EGNOS
Safe Mode
Garmin Lock
Touch Tones

the 350 apparently lacks the gps simulate mode...?

Boyd

Sorry, forgot about that old model. Even easier, just snap the antenna closed. That will turn off the GPS receiver. Tap the screen and the Set Loc button should appear at the bottom.