GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Trouble seeing custom maps on Nuvi 2595

Started by bigbair, May 29, 2012, 05:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

City Navigator has a priority of 30. If you want your map to show at the same time it should have a priority of 31. However, if you are using two maps with the same priority I'm not really sure what will happen and wouldn't be surprised if different GPS devices treated this differently (as I suggested above).

bigbair

Ok. Thanks

The topo map is a transparent and priority of 25 and it shows up over the City Navigator that is priority 30. That confuses me further.

I tried 30, 31, 51, 100 and my map (which is transparent) and it never showed up. I then tried 31 again and used gmaptool to convert from transparent to solid. Still no success. Maybe it is a different problem altogether. I don't know what to check now though.

Boyd

You lost me there... AFAIK the only valid draw priorities are in the range of 0 through 31. I believe that when you create a map using the transparent option in GPSMapedit (and other software), draw priority will default to 31. But I don't know because I never use transparent maps.

bigbair

Quote from: Boyd on May 30, 2012, 11:10:50 AM
You lost me there... AFAIK the only valid draw priorities are in the range of 0 through 31. I believe that when you create a map using the transparent option in GPSMapedit (and other software), draw priority will default to 31. But I don't know because I never use transparent maps.

I was just trying anything I could think of. I read about custom maps and kmz files somewhere else and thought the draw orders might be the same and gave it a try-

CM7.) How does Draw Order affect my Garmin Custom Maps?

0: Image will not display on map page and will not be visible in Custom Map enable/disable button [needs verification]
1-49: Image will display on map page under vector data like roads and contour lines in any enabled Garmin vector maps, but it will be visible on top of any ground cover in the vector maps.
50-100: Image will display on top of all Garmin vector map data.

If multiple overlapping custom maps are loaded draw order will be used to determine which map is displayed on top (higher number).

Waypoints, tracks, geocaches and POIs always display on top of the Custom Map.

Boyd

Here's the problem with that. Garmin uses the term "Custom Maps" to describe raster imagery embedded in a .kmz file. I know that this and other sites were previously using "Custom Maps" to describe third party vector based maps (.img files) for many years, but unfortunately those days are over since Garmin has officially defined "custom maps" to mean something completely different.

In fact, your title of this thread with "custom maps" confused me at first because of this. I suggest you stop using "custom maps" unless you are talking about raster imagery in a .kmz file, and there will be a lot less confusion.

But I see it has also confused you, because the information about "custom maps" and draw order that you posted has absolutely nothing to do with your situation. That kind of map isn't even vaguely related to an .img file and it cannot be used on any of the nuvi series.

maps4gps

Be aware that what Garmin terms a custom map are the .kmz raster maps.
Custom map was used to refer to vector maps created by independent map authors years before Garmin's usage.  Since they do not 'recognize' we exist, they have created a lot of
confustion, but it is their ball-game.

bigbair

I'm beginning to understand now. It was getting pretty confusing but I thought it must be something like that.

Seldom

To add to the confusion the cgpsmapper manual says:
QuoteDrawPriority=#
Value between 0 and 31 indicating the priority used by the GPS to draw the map. The highest value – the highest priority is set.
Priority for the transparent maps is calculated by adding always 32 to the set priority by DrawPriority value.
􀀩 Default = 25.
So it looks like the drawpriority of a transparent map is at least 32, but if you set s drawpriority for the map of 31, the actual drawpriority for the map if it was transparent would be 63.  You might want to mess with that, bigbair and let us know if it helps.

bigbair

I tried 32 and 63 and they still didn't show up. It is getting a little frustrating now but I am determined.

I don't know if it would make any difference but I have been changing the draw priority via gmaptool once I have already loaded the maps to the Nuvi. Maybe it needs to be set when I load them to MapSource with mapsettoolkit?

Seldom

I don't think you need to set the drawpriority above 31.  But I've given up on my problem.  I'll just use the maps on handhelds in future.

bigbair

Quote from: Seldom on May 30, 2012, 02:26:27 PM
I don't think you need to set the drawpriority above 31.  But I've given up on my problem.  I'll just use the maps on handhelds in future.

I am giving up on mine also. It is going back to Best Buy.

bigbair

Quote from: popej on May 31, 2012, 06:24:11 AM
Hi,

what map is displayed on top depends on gps type, map type, transparency and draw priority. You can find some info on net, but I'm not allowed to post a link here :(

You can easily set transparency and draw priority. With some money you can change gps. And with some fiddling you can change map type too.

Map type is defined by some parameters in subfile TRE. You can modify them with gmaptool. First set "advanced options" and "experimental options" in "Options" tab. Then set "TRE parameters" in "Write" tab, the same way as you set draw priority.

There are 4 parameters, leave 4-th field empty. First 3 parameters define map type. While I'm not sure about exact meaning of this parameters, you can experiment with some values:
1, 3, 17 - this is City Navigator
1, 4, 23 - this is road map that is displayed on nuvi over City Navigator
1, 4, 10 - this is topo map, I haven't checked its properties
0, 4, 23 - this is marine map

You can always check current TRE parameters using "Details" command on "Files" tab.

Now this is VERY interesting and I wish that I hadn't already sent the unit back. Prior to submitting my last post I did a hard reset and handed it to someone to take back and it is gone now. I believe this is probably the exact info I was needing.

I just looked at the TRE file(s) on my Nuvi 200 out of curiosity. It displays the maps 100% as desired- My Maps on top, then Topo, then Street Navigator. The parameters are:

City Navigator 2012.10
priority 30, parameters 1  3  17  1
levels [17,18,19,21,23], zoom [84,83,2,1,0]

My Map
priority 25, parameters 1  3  17  3  transparent
levels [23,24], zoom[81,0]

mc73_wv Topo 24k
priority 25, parameters 1  4  13  3 transparent
levels [18,19,20,22,24], zoom [85,4,3,2,1]

Interesting that My Map has   1  3  17   the same as the City Navigator. This could have been an error that prevented it from displaying on the 2595 but does not effect older models? I guess I will never know now. But it seems to be useful information.

popej

I think values 1, 3, 17 are used by most of free compilers. They are a good choice for a routable map and shouldn't be a problem for topo map.

Seldom

QuoteMap type is defined by some parameters in subfile TRE. You can modify them with gmaptool. First set "advanced options" and "experimental options" in "Options" tab. Then set "TRE parameters" in "Write" tab, the same way as you set draw priority.

I can see a way to write parameters in gmaptool, but I can't find a way to inspect them.  They showed up in a log file of info once, but I'm not able to replicate this.  Is this possible in gmaptool?

popej

Use "Details" instead of "Info". You will get informations about each tile:

Sub-file         fat     length
48617461 RGN    600h   1882502
48617461 TRE   1600h      6039
   map 2e5d7f5 (48617461)
   date 09.06.2005 23:50:39
   priority 25, parameters 1 3 17 1
   levels [16,18,20,22,24], zoom [84,3,2,1,0]
   N: 53.173828, S: 52.657471, W: 15.490723, E: 16.512451
   cgpsmapper version0098c
   GPSWielkopolska