GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Basecamp and RoadTrip on Montana map questions

Started by pschoggens, April 02, 2012, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pschoggens

Many thanks to Boyd and Seldom who gave insight and direction to solving my issues.

My resolve was to remove the sd card and mount it on the MAC using a USB card reader, rename it "Garmin sd".  Next I choose the zip download from OSM.  Once loaded, I opened and used Garmin Mapinstall to choose the OSM from the drop down menu.  Then I had to reselect all of the tiles as I originally selected from the OSM server and clicked continue to place the files on the card.
After completion, the card was reinserted into the Montana and Whaaaa-Laaaaa....we have maps!! :-*

Yes I am using Basecamp.

So next question...how to update the file with changesets-latest?

Look forward to your response

Powell

Seldom

Quote from: pschoggens on April 08, 2012, 11:31:35 AM
So next question...how to update the file with changesets-latest?
I'm pretty sure that if you download the same tiles from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, and install them, they'll just overwrite the earlier OSM World Map installation.  At least that's how it works on a PC. 

That said, I wouldn't be downloading any OSM maps for a while.  OSM just had a "license purge".  They changed their license about a year ago and gave all their contributors a year or so to accept the new license.  That year ended April 1st, and data is being purged from contributors who didn't accept the new license.  This can mean that some roads and POI disappear.

pschoggens

Hummmm..........How Do you define a While?  Does OSM charge to place a business name on their map and if they don't pay up remove them and the road they are on? :o

I took OSM for a test drive and was pleased with it functionality including the track back feature of the Montana.  Now maybe I should play with the find function since I do not recall seeing many POI on the map.

Boyd

The backtrack function has nothing to do with the map, it should work with no map at all. It uses the track that you have already recorded to route you back.

Seldom

Quote from: pschoggens on April 09, 2012, 07:02:07 AM
  Does OSM charge to place a business name on their map and if they don't pay up remove them and the road they are on?
Not sure if this is serious, but in case it is:  when data is uploaded to OSM there is an effective contract between the uploader and database maintainer about how the data is to be used.  OSM's lawyers decided that they needed to change the terms of that contract.  Folks whose data is about to disappear didn't agree to the new terms.

pschoggens

Thanks Guys,

One more question.....Should I just bulk buy a bunch of 1 or 2 GB cards to load individual maps on or is there a tutorial on how to put a bunch of maps on one bigger card?

For example in the maps section there are several files that interest me and on OSM, several more that if put together would create a complete northern America map.  I suppose I could alway store them on an external HD and load as needed.  Which would you recommend?

Seldom

There is probably a way to do it, but a Mac user would have to tell you how.  I'm including the PC way below for any PC/OSM users who might be following this thread:
Procedure to load multiple "OSM World Routable" maps in Windows:
Download the first selection of tiles from garmin.openstreetmap.nl
Run the installer.  The default map install location is C:\Garmin\Maps\OSM World Routable.
Rename the installed folder to C:\Garmin\Maps\SomethingElseThatMakesSenseToYou.
Open MapSetToolKit
Select "Families\OSM World Routable" in the right scroll box.
Click the 0Uninstall button.(Don't worry, this just deletes the old registry settings.)
Click the Install Button. Another dialog will pop up.
Select the Browse Button beside the TDBfile box and browse to the maps folder you renamed.
Select the TDB file in that folder. (It will be named 6324000.tdb)
Click the Browse Button beside the "Overview Map" box and select 6324000.img.
(DO NOT SELECT 6324000_MDR.IMG!!!!) 
(If you do you will render MapSource/BaseCamp unworkable until you use MapSetToolKit to uninstall this mapset.)
Add the MapSet Name, the Registry Name, and the Family ID in the popup dialog. 
(The Family ID should be 4 digits.  Don't use 2000 because that's the default FID for OSM maps.)
( Don't use an FID that's already listed in the MapSetToolKit scroll box.)
Click the Apply button.

Boyd

Personally I try to minimize the number of times that I swap memory cards. Aside from being a nuisance, you will be putting a lot of wear and tear on the little card slot.

I don't use OSM, but assume it would be like any other map set. After sending to the GPS, change the gmapsupp.img file name to something descriptive, like OSM.img. Now send another map and repeat as needed. Then get a big enough card to hold everything you need.

Seldom

Boyd, since you've been working with that universal installer, I thought you might have something pschoggens could do with folders for map products on a Mac?

Boyd

The instructions you posted were for creating registry-based Windows map sets. There really isn't any analog to that on the Mac. Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about OSM so I wouldn't even know where to begin.

pschoggens

Hey Boyd,

What maps do you use?  I am not married to OSM, I just resent paying Garmin more money for a map that is not going to be supported in the near future.

I am not 100% married to MAC either.  My last laptop was a ThinkPad, but kinda had simular feelings about Microsoft wanting me to pay an upgrade to get a spell checker for Microsoft Word, that was when I found Open Office.  With time I got tired of waiting for the thing to boot up all the time and now it won't connect to my wireless although everything seems to be working properly, that will be a new tread on a diffrent site.

I agree with not wanting to stick my dusty fingers inside my Garmin and would preferr to have the 32GB master card that I never have to change change.  Those little cards dissapear so easily.

look forward to your response....

Boyd

I think 32gb would be serious over-kill. Your device is limited to 4,000 map tiles and you would likely reach that limit long before 32gb. The only reason for a big card would be Birdseye which is only limited by storage space. However in my own experience, I filled 16GB class 10 card with Birdseye and it made startup painfully slow on my Montana. I would suggest only loading smaller sections of Birdseye to avoid this. Most people will never need more than 4GB or 8GB max. Remember, you also have about 1GB of internal storage.

For road navigation I use Garmin City Navigator. It has many features not supported by any free maps (rich POI database, full address lookup/routing, lane assist, speed limits). If you don't need Canada, get the Lower 49 version which $60. Register your GPS and you will get a 10% discount code that lowers this to $54. To me, this was a no-brainer due to the added functionality not to mention the time you would spend screwing around with downloads, etc.

For topo maps.... I make my own and they are better than anything else available for my area IMHO  ;)  http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

I also have the Garmin 24k Northeast topo and US Topo 2008 which I purchased a number of years ago.

Seldom

pschoggens, if you still have that old laptop you can always put BaseCamp on it. Load OSM maps on them, do what I described above, and convert it to Mac with MapConverter.  Regarding OSM vs City Navigator, I use OSM data for hiking, City Navigator (on a Nuvi) for driving.  I wouldn't want to rely on something as changeable as OSM to get me out of a bad neighborhood.  The wiked witch might rewrite the route so it ends up at the gingerbread cottage.

-Oz-

Quote from: BoydFor road navigation I use Garmin City Navigator. It has many features not supported by any free maps (rich POI database, full address lookup/routing, lane assist, speed limits). If you don't need Canada, get the Lower 49 version which $60. Register your GPS and you will get a 10% discount code that lowers this to $54. To me, this was a no-brainer due to the added functionality not to mention the time you would spend screwing around with downloads, etc.

For topo maps.... I make my own and they are better than anything else available for my area IMHO
I concur with all of this.  Nothing can rival the City Nav maps due to the POIs, updates, etc.  OSM was originally built off "poor" tiger data but with all the improvements they can't update so there will be inaccuracies.  Additionally, Garmin manually updates addresses that don't conform to standards; data like that isn't in OSM.

With that said I did use an OSM map once because I didn't need another license for roads on a GPS and it did work pretty decently.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

pschoggens

Sorry I have been busy, but you three have made very good arguments for the city navigator as a superior product over OSM.  I was totally overlooking the POIs as having value.

Guess I will conform with the DVD version.  ::)

I had a conversation with Garmin a few years back requesting they make their software smarter as being able to sense which direction I am going in by reference to my destination  and recommending POIs that are out my front door instead of 200 miles out my back door.

Seems I recall a snicker.  ;)