GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

using img files

Started by RankNewbie, February 13, 2009, 01:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RankNewbie

I'm hoping to get some beginner info on using various maps on the Garmin nuvi 350

going to London; kewl - load up the Tube map on the Garmin.

so I did find one, it's an img file
(no SDadd card on board - are those just the run of the mill SD cards?  similar to digital camera?)

so how do I "use" this img file - would prefer not to wipe out the current map set
(North Amer Navigator - std off the shelf)

is it as simple as copying the img file into the same directory? 
I see the installer thing, d/ling from Ibycus - is use of same a required route for adding img files?

I've backed up the whole directory structure via USB cable; I presume one can delete all the languages one does not need?  and the sample jpg/mp3?  not interested in slide slows or watching movies on the thing!

.........sigh.  it's amazing how much isn't in the manual....

-Oz-

I would suggest downloading sendmap: http://cgpsmapper.com/download/sendmap20.zip and using that to load it up.  And yes the SD cards are any standard SD card.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

RankNewbie

thanks Dan !

did the download, install & run. says it successfully uploaded the tube map - shows up in Settings|Map|MapInfo.

for lurkers, sendmap20 had trouble "finding" the Garmin directory; when I unplugged all other USB devices, it found  \Garmin, no problem

can't get it to display the map; perhaps that's because I'm not currently in UK <g>

<sigh> if you're 12, you know how to do all this stuff.  ASM I can handle; gps - ahhh, not yet.

looks like I'll need to add a SD card - does one need to approach the upload task differently when using a (blank) SD card - ie not preloaded with Garmin product?

appreciate the help - if there's a Garmin for Dummies out there, just point me please.

dhisum_dhisum

Actually,

There is a setting that you have to enable before it will show the map. I cannot remember it off of my head, but somewhere, I believe in the maps, it shows a list of maps currently installed. You need to uncheck the CNNA box and then check the UK map box. When you want to see the CNNA again, you need to revert the settings. I had to scratch my head for quite a while to figure that part out.

dhisum_dhisum

Now that I think of it, I believe it is in Settings|Maps|MapsInfo. You should see a little checkbox to the left of the maps. Unselect the City Navigator and then you should see the tubes map.

-Oz-

And yes, you'll have to be in the part of the country that the map covers; you could probably zoom out and scroll over there then zoom back in to see it.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

RankNewbie

scrolling out from east coast to UK should be a kick! <g>

I did try the check mark trick - but as you say, I'm not even on the map.

had my first "and it's sending which way?" excursion today - need to learn a few route programing tricks....

thanks for the help - I'll be back!

-Oz-

Good luck; it will always get you there... just maybe not the smartest way...
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

RankNewbie

so,,, first road trip all done.

>>>just maybe not the smartest way...

very polite turn of phrase.  <g> 

I found it very helpful valuable in navigating the local area(s), but the algorithms for "Shortest" or "Fastest" routing on the city/state-to-city/state level lack ,,,uhmmmm,,,errrrr,,,,, are lacking.

set for fastest route, on the way home - meaning I knew exactly what route is "best" - it suddenly wanted me to get off the interstate and go Route <cow path studded with malls>  at that point my arrival time was hh:48.  as I continued to ignore it's suggestions, every recalculation resulted in a sooner arrival time.  eventually I got it down to hh:13 following my own common sense.

somewhat amusing to have a system set for fastest route, and after passing suggested Exit X, it says take (next) Exit Y and the arrival time improves by 6 minutes... like why not suggest Exit Y so start with....

so, what's the solution?  is there software to created your own route on the pc and download "and this is how I want to get there" to the gps unit?

Boyd

Quote from: RankNewbie on February 21, 2009, 09:43:48 AM
is there software to created your own route on the pc and download "and this is how I want to get there" to the gps unit?

Yes, there is MapSource for the PC and RoadTrip for the Mac which will allow you to plan a route and transfer it to the GPS. However, if you're using a Nuvi 350, this won't work. You need a GPS which can handle multi-stop routing and the only Nuvi series which can do that are the ones whose models begin with the number 5, 7 and 8 (eg: 750, 885, etc). You will also need to install the City Navigator maps on your computer, and they are distributed separately from the GPS itself.

RankNewbie

thanks Boyd - saves me a bunch of trouble!

I never really had any "trouble" reading maps, and finding South Carolina - or even a city therein - leaving from home has not been a big issue either.

methinks I'll set it up on mute until I'm close enough to need turn by turn directions in a local area.
it is a lot more convenient to listen to the prompts than struggle with steering wheel and paper print outs!

-Oz-

I leave mine on mute pretty frequently whereas my wife has it on super loud talk all the time :)
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Mine is permanently muted - I couldn't even tell you what the voice sounds like. Guess it's just my quirk, but I don't like machines that talk. A GPS should just shut up and show me where I am or where I'm going.  ;D

RankNewbie

>>talking machines

I'll vote for  that!  my computers are always muted except if I actually want to listen to something.

I think I've found a freebie London city map - thru links here.

question 1:  if I checkmark two maps that cover the same area,,, what happens?

question 2:  any freebie / shareware software out there that would allow me to look at .img map files?  I'd feel more comfortable having seen what I've downloaded prior to relying on actual use...

Boyd

Quote from: RankNewbie on February 27, 2009, 08:50:32 AM
any freebie / shareware software out there that would allow me to look at .img map files?

GPSMapEdit will open .img files.

http://www.geopainting.com/en/