GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon 450 map download problem

Started by dabson, June 01, 2010, 03:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabson

Just got a Oregon 450.  Not familar with GPS units.  Tried to download a map to a SD-micro in my desktop and also tried with it in the GPS.  I have downloaded the training, mapsource, and basecamp.  Mapsource keeps giving me a message that my system is not compatable.  I've tried it on computers with xp up to Windows 7.  Basecamp ran but I cannot get an area selected to download.  It showed me a map rathar than a list of tiles as in the tutorial.  It ran from explore, not from clicking on the exe. file as in the tutorial.  I couldn't get to the exe file.  My computer skills are not the best.  Can someone tell me where I'm missing it?  Thanks.

Seldom

Connect your OR to your PC and run BaseCamp.  Right click on your OR icon in BaseCamp and select
"install maps".  This will start another application called MapInstall which came with BaseCamp.  You can select your map tiles from within the MapInstall window.

Buck_Mulligan

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 01, 2010, 04:34:43 PM
Connect your OR to your PC and run BaseCamp.  Right click on your OR icon in BaseCamp and select
"install maps". 

Hi,

When I attempt this with my new 450t, the "install maps" menu option is grayed out and does not respond. I used the installer for the mapset I downloaded (Arizona Topo 24K) but neither Base Camp nor Map Source recognizes the installation.  ??? Any next steps received with gratitude.

Seldom

Can you see the two "Devices" (the unit and removable media) at the bottom of the top left "Library" window?

Can you see maps in BaseCamp?  The installers from this site install maps to the PC, in BaseCamp or MapSource, nor to the GPSr.  Generally, if you double click on the download it will automatically install to MapSource/BaseCamp.

dabson

I hope that I am doing this correctly.  In response to the question by seldom sn, I could see the GPS unit and its files in the left hand box but not the micro SD card installed in it.  When trying to download straight to the SD card when installed in the computer the card showed up. 

In Basecamp, it showed me the map of the world but I could not get it to select an area.  I tried different methods but didn't find anything that worked for me. 

Thanks for the response.

Boyd

It sounds like you have not installed the maps on your computer properly, or that you don't understand how to select them in Mapsource (this is a common problem and the cause of many of the questions here).

Did you follow this tutorial exactly? And I mean *exactly* as it is presented?

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

This is the key to selecting the map. It is similar in BaseCamp

If the map isn't on the dropdown menu, then it is not properly installed.

Seldom

Quote from: dabson on June 02, 2010, 05:47:16 AM
I hope that I am doing this correctly.  In response to the question by seldom sn, I could see the GPS unit and its files in the left hand box but not the micro SD card installed in it.  When trying to download straight to the SD card when installed in the computer the card showed up. 

In Basecamp, it showed me the map of the world but I could not get it to select an area.  I tried different methods but didn't find anything that worked for me. 

Thanks for the response.

If you can't see the installed card in BaseCamp, you might want to check that the memory card is physically installed correctly.  Assuming your unit is like my OR300, remove the batteries, push the holder up to release, insert the card, and push the holder down to lock.

dabson

Boyd, what you are saying sounds correct.  The drop down list in step 2 of the tutorial using Mapsoruce and step 6 using Basecamp does not appear for me.  I can't see where I am not following the tutorial but will study it again.  I went back and downloaded and ran the training center, Mapsource, and Basecamp again.  I got Mapsource and Basecamp And Mapinstall to run but cannot get that dropdown list.  What shows on the screen for me is different.  Thanks for the help.

maps4gps

Which mapset are you trying to get on your OR450?

-Oz-

Can you post what you see?  print screen button will copy it then you can paste it in paint and upload it here.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Quote from: dabson on June 03, 2010, 05:51:24 PMSomeone asked what mapset I was attempting to download.  Does this make a difference?  It is not a vacation spot at the present time. 

Actually that could make a huge difference. The maps have been created by many different people so there is no real "standard". Each mapmaker does things their own way and has different objectives in mind when creating their maps. Some maps have installers, others do not. Some maps have known issues.

Buck_Mulligan

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 02, 2010, 03:02:36 AM
Can you see the two "Devices" (the unit and removable media) at the bottom of the top left "Library" window?

Sorry, I haven't been able to get back to this for a couple of days.

Yes, I can see the two devices in BaseCamp.

QuoteCan you see maps in BaseCamp?  The installers from this site install maps to the PC, in BaseCamp or MapSource, nor to the GPSr.  Generally, if you double click on the download it will automatically install to MapSource/BaseCamp.

I can see other maps in BaseCamp, but Arizona Topo is not in the dropdown. Ditto for MapSource. Please see the attached (I hope) images.

I download and run (and have done so more than once) aztopo_2.00_install.exe. As a result of the install, I get the following directory created: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arizona Topo (W7 Home Premium, 64-bit). That directory contains 47 IMG files, Arizona Topo.MDX, Arizona Topo.TDB, and uninstall.exe.  And then I see nothing in either application. And that is where I am stuck, so I think I am overlooking the obvious.

Seldom

There should also be an Arizona Topo.IMG file in the Arizona Topo folder.  It's about 290Kbytes.

-Oz-

If you download and install the New Mexico topo does that work?

I have the Arizona Topo loaded on win 7 pro 64-bit...
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Buck_Mulligan

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 04, 2010, 02:53:31 AM
There should also be an Arizona Topo.IMG file in the Arizona Topo folder.  It's about 290Kbytes.

Yes, that is one of the 47 IMG files.

Quote from: -Oz- on June 05, 2010, 09:44:48 AM
If you download and install the New Mexico topo does that work?

I'll have to try it. I've only attempted Arizona so far (guess where I live?). It may take me several days to get to it. I'll be back once I've made the attempt.

Thanks to you both.