General Category > Using The Maps/Garmin Software

How Do I Load Maps On My GPS Unit?

<< < (3/21) > >>

Boyd:
On older units, using mapsource you select the portions of *each* map that you want first (by choosing them one at a time and highlighting the areas you want). Then you send it all to the GPS together.

On your new model, you have more options. Send your first map to the gps, then look in its \Garmin folder and find gmapsupp.img. Change the name to something descriptive, like huntingmap.img. Now send the next map and repeat as needed. Your 78s can recognize multiple map files (up to something like a total of 14 maps).

This is a relatively new thing for Garmin. You need to realize that they pretty much pioneered all this stuff, and they went in their own direction using 1990's technology. Old habits die hard I guess, and it's taken them a long time to change their way of doing things. In the old days, you didn't have enough memory in a GPS to even need to worry about multiple map.

Maybe you would be happier with a unit from Magellan?  ;D

hawk:
So you can have more than one map on the 78s correct? This comment in step #9 is referencing some older units?

maps4gps:
Correct.  I have not heard of a total of 14 maps before.  A post (on the groundspeak forums ?) said 10 on the GPSr and 10 on the micro memory card.  I tested this and had no problems with 17 seperate mapsets on the micro memory card and Garmin's basemap on my OR300's internal memory.

Boyd:
I don't know what the limit is and haven't tried, I read about the 14 in a post at Groundspeak I think. For most people, it won't be an issue.

Actually #9 is correct with any Garmin unit if you just follow the standard procedure. Basecamp/Mapsource always generate a file named gmapsupp.img. So unless you have manually renamed that file, it will be automatically erased whenever you send a new map. If you rename the map after uploading, then you can avoid the problem on your unit.

Boyd:
There are links in the first post of this thread that describe how to load the map. Yes, it must first be installed on your computer. You cannot connect the GPS directly to the internet.

If you really have a hard time with this kind of thing, and you don't care if the maps are on your computer, then just buy one of the *real* Garmin products that comes on a data card. All you will need to do is plug that into the GPS, and you'll be good to go. And if you do have any problems, Garmin support will help you.

You could get either Topo US 100K, which covers the entire US, or one of the regional 24k topo's for your area. The 24k topo's have roads and POI's like the City Navigator maps on the Nuvi, so they can be used to give driving directions and find gas stations, stores and restaurants. The 100k topo's will only display your position on the map and cannot do those things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version