GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Adding additional boundaries to topo map

Started by nm_map_user, October 21, 2009, 08:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nm_map_user

I'm using the NM topo maps from GPSFileDepot (many thanks!) and would like to add some additional boundary information to the maps (hunting units, some private property, that sort of thing). This is similar to the question asked here - http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,440.0.html . However, the responses to that post never addressed the mechanics of how to do this.

One obvious way is to follow the instructions in the tutorial on how to make topo maps, and just add in additional shape files for the info I want to add. But is that the best way? Apparently there is some way to produce transparent overlays (pointer to how?), would that be a better approach, esp if I'm adding only data in only a few of the tiles?

nm_map_user

I looked over the tutorial and it sounds like I need to make shapefiles of my boundaries, then skip steps in Parts 2-6, follow the instructions in step 7 (borders), no step 8 since the is no combining, then follow step 9. Maybe I read too fast, but I didn't see where the transparency setting is done.
Also seems that since the total data will be pretty small, I could conceivably do the whole state in one transparent file without overtaxing memory in the GPS unit.

alpine

As for land ownership, I don't know about your state, but for Idaho there is a map that shows BLM State, and private ownership. I just put a check mark in that box to display the land ownership on the Garmin 500 I use for ATV travels.

Seldom

Quote from: alpine on October 22, 2009, 08:48:35 AM
As for land ownership, I don't know about your state, but for Idaho there is a map that shows BLM State, and private ownership. I just put a check mark in that box to display the land ownership on the Garmin 500 I use for ATV travels.

I could see the land ownership data on the BLM web site, but couldn't figure out how to download it in anything GM would recognize.  I'd appreciate a tip.

Thanks in advance.

Boyd

Shapefiles are what you will want (.shp). But Globalmapper is usually quite good at figuring everything out all by itself. Since you haven't given us a link, I have no idea what you're looking at online. But there should be a way to download the files, and usually you will end up with a zipped folder containing multiple items.

You don't even need to unzip the folder, just start Globalmapper and choose the option to open all files in a directory tree, then browse to the zipped folder. When it asks for a mask to use, just keep the default of * (asterisk). More often than not, that's all you need to do and the program will display any shapefiles which are in the folder and load all the metadata.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on October 23, 2009, 10:33:34 AM
Shapefiles are what you will want (.shp). But Globalmapper is usually quite good at figuring everything out all by itself. Since you haven't given us a link, I have no idea what you're looking at online. But there should be a way to download the files, and usually you will end up with a zipped folder containing multiple items.

You don't even need to unzip the folder, just start Globalmapper and choose the option to open all files in a directory tree, then browse to the zipped folder. When it asks for a mask to use, just keep the default of * (asterisk). More often than not, that's all you need to do and the program will display any shapefiles which are in the folder and load all the metadata.

Boyd, not sure if you are addressing me (ignorant) or Alpine.  I've used GM for about 3 years, so I'm familiar with some of its nice features.  My problem is that the only shape files I could find on the BLM site I visited for southern Utah was a bunch of corner points for quarter sections.  There were a lot of BLM and National Forest boundaries I could see in Firefox, just couldn't find a link to download.

I'm hoping Alpine can give us a link.

Boyd

Sorry, I guess I don't understand then. It would help if you gave a link... I found lots of land use/ownership/landcover data in shapefile format for my own state, and have seen similar for other states.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on October 23, 2009, 11:14:59 AM
Sorry, I guess I don't understand then. It would help if you gave a link... I found lots of land use/ownership/landcover data in shapefile format for my own state, and have seen similar for other states.
I was trying to extract data from http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND
and could only get the quarter section corners.
I just googled this

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/prog/more/geographic_information/gis_data_and_maps.html which looks a bit more friendly, if not as tantalizing.