Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  

Author Topic: New Maps for Canada, US and Mexico  (Read 12788 times)

LostNeedToBeFound

• View Profile
Re: New Maps for Canada, US and Mexico
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
Hey sockmonkey, thanks for all your hard work on creating these maps. I posted the following question in another thread, then found this thread which is specific to what I'm challenged with. Your one reply to someone had me hopeful, but I'm still stuck.

I downloaded the CA-CentralProvTopo to my Mac. After downloading, I have the attached directory structure/content. In a prior post, you mentioned renaming CA-CentralProvTopo to gmapsupp.img and copying this file to the sd card. Where I'm stuck is there are multiple CA-CentralProvTopo entries (files and folders). So I'm not quite sure what to do.

Any help would be supper appreciated!

Boyd

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 01:20:47 AM »
See my response in your other thread.

sockmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2021, 07:23:08 AM »
To Lost...

The renaming to gmapsupp.img that I gave to another poster was the fact that they have an older Garmin gps unit which is limited to a 4gb card AND a single mapset AND gmapsupp is the only name the unit recognizes.

After extracting the zip file you should have a folder which is called 
CA-CentralProvTopo.gmapi   from your screen shot  that has happened.  The files and folders you see are what should be there.  Anyway,  make sure basecamp is properly installed and if so close it.  Click on the gmapi folder, the highest level folder, it should trigger the mac to install the mapset.  When it is finished you should now have the central prov topo as a drop down choice in basecamp.  This should go for any map, not just mine, that are offered in the gmapi format  Let us know how is goes.

Sockmonkey

Boyd

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2021, 07:53:16 AM »
After extracting the zip file you should have a folder which is called 
CA-CentralProvTopo.gmapi   from your screen shot  that has happened.  The files and folders you see are what should be there.

First, it's great that you are offering all these maps for download. But I'm sorry, what you posted is not correct. I have to ask, do you actually have a Macintosh? Unfortunately, a lot of the mapmakers here don't and make some wrong assumptions as a result. What you describe would only be correct if:

1. You are using a Windows computer and not a Mac
or
2. If you are using a Mac but have not properly installed Basecamp/Mapmanager/MapInstall.

When you install them correctly, you will NOT see what is shown in the screenshot. After installation, it changes the way .gmap and .gmapi folders are displayed. They will NOT look like folders anymore, they will look like DOCUMENTS.I just downloaded your map on my Mac and here's what a Mac user *should* see. YOU SHOULD NOT SEE ANY FOLDERS AT ALL. There should just be an icon that you double-click to install.

As I have posted in the other thread, he needs to re-install Garmin's software. Sometimes this happens. IIRC, Garmin has a version of Basecamp at the Mac App Store, and I think that is often the problem, it may not include MapManager, not sure. Anyway, downloading and re-installing from the link I posted in the other thread should fix this problem.

Also, @LostNeedToBeFound, please don't post duplicate threads. It just creates confusion when people are trying to answer you in two different places, as you can see here. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:58:00 AM by Boyd »

sockmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2021, 09:39:36 AM »
The new maps for Canada, US and Mexico goes beyond...  I actually started working on this before the Mt Everest and South America maps, but just recently finished working on them.
A word of "warning" of sorts, these maps are dense and may take some extra time to load, zoom etc.  This was the case when testing my devices at the highest detail, though YMMV.
Enjoy.

anything