General Category > Using The Maps/Garmin Software

How to install a map on a GPSMAP that doesn't have a USB port?

(1/3) > >>

93ToyTruck:
How do you install a custom map onto a Garmin GPS that doesn't have a USB port?

A GPSMAP 7607 has an SD card slot but no USB. If MapInstall is used to install a map into an SD card, it puts the map into the Garmin directory with GMAPSUPP.IMG as the name. The 7607 doesn't recognize the file. I think it needs to go into the Map directory with the name of the map as the file name. Is there a way to make MapInstall use the new format when installing to an SD card?

Thanks in advance.

popej:
I think any Garmni device supports map as \Garmin\gmapsupp.img on SD. Most probably map, that you are trying to use, is not supported by marine GPS.

Boyd:
You also need to be sure that the SD card is formatted as FAT32. And some older devices may not support SDHC cards (or will require a firmware update to recognize them).

Red90:

--- Quote from: popej on January 03, 2017, 04:39:07 AM ---I think any Garmni device supports map as \Garmin\gmapsupp.img on SD. Most probably map, that you are trying to use, is not supported by marine GPS.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure that Nuvis and such won't see a map in that location.  They need to be in the MAP directory.  Try moving the file there and see what happens.

You could always read the manual or ask Garmin....

Boyd:

--- Quote from: Red90 on January 04, 2017, 07:38:21 AM ---I'm pretty sure that Nuvis and such won't see a map in that location.  They need to be in the MAP directory.
--- End quote ---

I think this is model-dependent. I remember my Nuvi 3790 (circa 2010) would not recognize a gmapsupp.img file in the Garmin directory of internal storage. But it would recognize the same file in the Garmin directory on a memory card. I have been told that newer Nuvi series will recognize them in both places however.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version