GPSFileDepot.com

How to install a map on a GPSMAP that doesn't have a USB port?

Started by 93ToyTruck, January 02, 2017, 02:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93ToyTruck

How do you install a custom map onto a Garmin GPS that doesn't have a USB port?

A GPSMAP 7607 has an SD card slot but no USB. If MapInstall is used to install a map into an SD card, it puts the map into the Garmin directory with GMAPSUPP.IMG as the name. The 7607 doesn't recognize the file. I think it needs to go into the Map directory with the name of the map as the file name. Is there a way to make MapInstall use the new format when installing to an SD card?

Thanks in advance.

popej

I think any Garmni device supports map as \Garmin\gmapsupp.img on SD. Most probably map, that you are trying to use, is not supported by marine GPS.

Boyd

You also need to be sure that the SD card is formatted as FAT32. And some older devices may not support SDHC cards (or will require a firmware update to recognize them).

Red90

Quote from: popej on January 03, 2017, 04:39:07 AM
I think any Garmni device supports map as \Garmin\gmapsupp.img on SD. Most probably map, that you are trying to use, is not supported by marine GPS.

I'm pretty sure that Nuvis and such won't see a map in that location.  They need to be in the MAP directory.  Try moving the file there and see what happens.

You could always read the manual or ask Garmin....

Boyd

Quote from: Red90 on January 04, 2017, 07:38:21 AMI'm pretty sure that Nuvis and such won't see a map in that location.  They need to be in the MAP directory.

I think this is model-dependent. I remember my Nuvi 3790 (circa 2010) would not recognize a gmapsupp.img file in the Garmin directory of internal storage. But it would recognize the same file in the Garmin directory on a memory card. I have been told that newer Nuvi series will recognize them in both places however.

popej

Quote from: Red90 on January 04, 2017, 07:38:21 AM
Quote from: popej on January 03, 2017, 04:39:07 AM
\Garmin\gmapsupp.img on SD

I'm pretty sure that Nuvis and such won't see a map in that location.
Just try. I think this is a standard file for any map sold on SD and that's good reason to support it on all devices.

93ToyTruck

I have a Nuvi 50. If I install the map onto an SD card without the GPS attached, it makes \Garmin\gmapsupp.img. The Nuvi 50 displays the map but doesn't apply the custom TYP file.

The GPSMAP 7607 doesn't see the map when it's \Garmin\gmapsupp.img. I'll try the Map directory. I was hoping that there was some sort of signature file to get MapInstall to install the map in the format expected by the GPS. It's a new GPS so I would expect it to use the map name as the file name.

Thanks for the input.

popej

What map is it? Not all maps are supported by marine GPS, most free maps compiled for outdoor or car are simply ignored.

93ToyTruck

It's a map that I created using a licensed copy of Cgpsmapper. I've got at least 1,000 people using it and this is the first compatibility issue I've hit. Everything else installed via USB cable.

popej

Map compiled with cGPSmapper should be supported by chartplotters, if you use in source header a line like:
Marine=B
Marine=X

Newer devices require Garmin's copyright inside img to accept a map.

If you insert SD while GPS is on, don't you get any message?

aaknitt

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'd like to be able to do the same thing and am wondering if anyone has had success.  I have a Garmin Echomap unit on which I'd like to put topo maps such as this one:

gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/150/ 

I have this topo map installed on my Oregon 450 via MapSource / Basecamp and it works fine.  I've installed Garmin Homeport to work with my Echomap and that software recognizes the topo map and even allows me to send the map to the SD card for the device, where it creates a .img file.  However, when I load the SD card into the Echomap unit it says that the map format is not supported.  Based on the last post from popej, it looks like a Garmin copyright might be required inside the img file.  Is there a way to edit the img to get it working?  Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Andy

bbarfield

Looks like you never got an answer to your question. I just ditched my jet ski and want ot move my echomap to my atv and run Bob-T maps for Hatfield McCoy. I already have a Garmin topo map which runs beautifully. But when I download Bob's map (disc image file specifically for Garmin) it says not supported. Kinda sucks. Guess I'll buy a used Nuvi or Drive.