GPSFileDepot.com

Newbie Question - How to Remove a Pin + 2 More Questions

Started by Sara-Bay, December 16, 2015, 03:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara-Bay

Just getting acquainted with my new Oregon 600 and have a couple more questions:

1.)  When I touch and hold any place on the map, a red pin is inserted.  I think pins may also appear for other reasons (haven't figured out for sure if they are always caused by my touching the map).  What exactly is the intended purpose of the pin (e.g., is it useful with other features) and how do I remove them if I inserted it unintentionally?

2).  When I view my maps on my PC (I'm using both the GPSFileDepot 24k topo map and the My Trails map), I can hover over the representation of an object on the map (such as a beacon light on Sarasota Bay), and I'll get a tool tip explaining what that object is.  Is there a similar function on the Garmin Oregon 600?

3).  I'm currently using Alkaline batteries.  Are the NiMH batteries significantly longer lasting/better?  What about the rechargeable ones made for the Garmin?

Thanks!
Sara-Bay

Boyd

I think the new Oregon is like my Montana. There is a little gray X in the lower right corner of the info box that appears over the pin - it is a little hard to see. Tapping that X will make the pin go away.

Use the pin to select something of interest, such as a place you want to visit. Tap the info box and you get a screen with a go button. Pressing go will set the location of the pin as a destination. You would need routable maps (such as the Garmin 24k topo) if you want turn by turn directions. With a gpsfiledepot map, it would just draw a straight line to the pin from your current position.

Now on the same screen there's a little flag at the bottom. Tap the flag to create a waypoint. You could use that waypoint again in the future, it can be accessed from the Waypoint Manager on the Main screen(s).

Regarding your question #2, that is what the pin is for! It will show the same information you see in Basecamp when you "mouse around". :)

Sara-Bay