News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MAP INSTALL

Started by BKSLDR7, May 01, 2012, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

From My Trails Page:
QuoteThe Windows installer map is updated on a regular basis (MAC is a pain so it is not updated as often-but I am getting better at it).

If merfani and BKSLDR7 are both using Macs, this might explain it.  Have any confirmed PC users reported this problem?

merfani

Thanks for all the quick replies. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am using the PC version and I had no problem installing My Topos.

As an update, I started taking few of the states out  (HI, CA, and most of the mid west) and the remianing 12 states installed fine.   So the size of the install seems to make a difference which would make sense had I not have enough space on my card or the base unit (neither which, is the case).

Thanks for the suggestion. I will post this issue on Garmin site as well.

Seldom

merfani, are you sending the maps to your Montana as a single gmapsupp.img for each mapset that you rename, or as a gmapsupp.img combining map sets?  Also, are you sending to a card or internal memory?  If you are not going the renaming route, it might be worth a try.

Boyd

If you're using a PC, I suggest that you try Mapsource instead of Basecamp. That would remove any possibility of MapInstall bugs from the equation. Version 4 of MapInstall was also released on the PC last week, and also appears to be quirky.

jbensman

Try it now.  I recompiled the mac and windows installer. 

That error message happens if I forget to run mapsettoolkit before creating the installer and there has been too big of a change in the img files.  I thought I had a note on the page telling people to contact me if they get such an error message.  I do now. 

Let me know if it fixes it. 

merfani

It Worked ! Thank You Very Much !!

I just downloaded the new "My Trail", and used the BaseCamp/MapInstall app as before and it installed just fine.

For what it is worth, earlier before downloading the new version of "My Trail" I did try MapSource with the  "My Trails" which was failing with BaseCamp, and it worked fine as well.

Thanks again for all the responses, and of course the ultimate fix.

jbensman

That's interesting that it worked in mapsource and not mapinstall.  I always yse mapsource to install the maps.  I guess then I need to always make sure I run mapsettoolkit before creating the installer.  Sounds like basecamp is more sensative than mapsource.

Seldom

I don't know if it makes a difference, but i always uninstalled an old version of a mapset using MSTK before I re-installed the same updated one.  Seemed like good hygiene.  The OP's experience with MapSource vs. BaseCamp reflects something else I've found.  MapSource is much more forgiving with GPX files than is BaseCamp.

BKSLDR7

MERFANI,
You are seeing the same error that I am for MyTrails.  The author attempted a fix but I still have the problem that you do and the author has no more suggestions.  All the other maps from this site install fine on the card unless I add MyTrails to the set.  There seems to be a problem with installing MyTrails on a Mac with MyTrails itself or with the Installer 4.0.   It appears to affect both the Montana and Nuvi 855.

Indrid Cold

Well, I just downloaded and installed My Trails on my Mac, and used MapInstall v4.0.0 to send the map to my GPS and it wrote the file "My Trails.img" in a couple of seconds so the file hosted is good.