News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Off-Road Use

Started by MoabUT, January 30, 2012, 02:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoabUT

Hi everyone.
Can someone tell me if it is ok to use the Garmin 1690lmt mounted in a water/dust proof case on my ATV. I don't do anything extreme, just some trail riding with my wife on the back. I have searched all over the web and don't find anything either way so I'm thinking I will have to choke up another three bills for an outdoor model...hope not. Your thoughts and experience will be appreciated. Thanx

Seldom

Off road in Moab is pretty scarce on lifetime maps.  Do you have any other sources in mind?
In the desert water/dustproof should pretty much be handled by a ziplock bag.  I'd be more concerned about shockproof.

maps4gps

I am not familiar with NUVIs, but would second Seldom on the shockproof.  Also what effect would sunlight reflections on a layer of plastic in front of the screen. especially if used while moving.   

BobT

The people I ride ATV's with mostly use Nuvi's.  Some of also have the higher end ones for tracking.  I run a Colorado and a Nuvi 1300.  Some use the 500 which is waterproof, but most use just the regular ones.  We all use Ram Mounts and most of just leave them exposed.  We do all have screen  protectors.  I think we give them a pretty good work out since we ride rough trails and a lot of water and mud.  I have had mine exposed in a thunder storm and it still works, its a 1300.  A few of the guys have gotten waterproof cases from Ram that has a flexible plastic on the front and it works great with the touch screen. 

Most of the Side by Side ATV riders use Nuvi's but theirs are more protected from the elements.  Everyone is using Nuvi's for the larger screen, especially the new 1450 with a 5" screen.

MoabUT

Hey, thanksfor the replies. I did see something in the manual about excessive vibration and excessive heat so yoy guys hit it right on the head, thanks. I guess i will have to buy a new one designed for outdoor use. FYI .ram-mount makes a nice waterproof box called Aqua Box.
OOPS! Looks like I may give it a try.

Boyd

One major limitation of the Nuvi series is that you cannot send a track to them and have it displayed on the screen. They record your track (always recording, it can't even be turned off) and can display that, but cannot display tracks that you send to the unit.

That will be a problem if you want to follow a trail that somebody else gives you; the only workaround is to turn the track file into a map. If you shop around and can wait for a sale, you can get something nice for closer to $200 and not $300. We've seen the Oregon 450 that low (when a rebate was being offered).

alpine

Well I might disagree with you Boyd. With the limitation of routes being straight lines, I make routes all the time for the 500.

Also I can make routes from tracks, and next time I go on that trail, I can use the route.

Works well for me with the 500 on the ATV.

Boyd

Sure, that's a work-around you can use, and if it's good enough for your use that's great. But I'd still call it a "major limitation" when you compare the track capabilities of Garmin's handheld devices.

MoabUT

Thank you for all the great answers. I will have to learn more about GPSes in general, I am pretty green. Thanks again.