News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

eTrex 30 - Following Tracks

Started by lostbarry, January 29, 2012, 12:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostbarry

Re: Following uploaded tracks on an eTrex 30
[Questions from a newbie that just upgraded from a HCx, which I could barely operate.]

1-My eTrex 30 seems to be confused when I stop and check to see if I'm following an uploaded track. In track up, the cursor will flip-flop 180-deg when I stop. Everything seems fine when you're moving, but when you raise the GPS up to look at it, the map will flip-flop back and forth.
2-The above mentioned problem seemed much worse the one time I uploaded a bitmap map to follow. The redraw seems faster with vector maps, but is the redraw that slow with Birdseye maps?
3-Does Track up consume more battery than north up?

TIA,
-Barry

maps4gps

GPSr positions are not exact.  Depending on conditions the 95% location is usually within 15 to 20 feet.  When you stop, the GPSr 'position' is bouncing around these locations and the screen is going track up from there to the track point.

lostbarry

Quote from: maps4gps on January 29, 2012, 05:54:50 PM
GPSr positions are not exact.  Depending on conditions the 95% location is usually within 15 to 20 feet.  When you stop, the GPSr 'position' is bouncing around these locations and the screen is going track up from there to the track point.

Re: Bouncing
Is there any way to average the display to minimize this bouncing?... without making the redraw too slow?

I should probably have posted these as separate threads, instead of lumping them in my first post, but here goes...
2-Re: Birdseye - I've heard/read that Birdseye maps, which I understand to be raster maps, redraw as fast as vector maps. Anybody confirm this before I burn money I wish I wouldn't have...
3-Re: Track-up vs. north up - Seems like north up, which doesn't seem to demand as many redraws, would consume considerable less power than track up. Comments?
TIA,
-B

Boyd

Birdseye performance was OK on my Oregon but definitely slower than vector maps. It is faster on my Montana. There have been reports that raster imagery (BirdsEye and "custom maps") are very slow on the new eTrex 20 and 30. This is just based on some posts I've read at Groundspeak, I've never used one myself.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on February 02, 2012, 06:24:42 AM
There have been reports that raster imagery (BirdsEye and "custom maps") are very slow on the new eTrex 20 and 30. This is just based on some posts I've read at Groundspeak, I've never used one myself.

Just did a sidebyside test of my 62s and Etrex 30 with the same KMZ over identical maps with lots of solid and semisolid vector polygons.  Both seem slow.  Zooms are slow with both units.  Pans are reasonable until you pan beyond the edge of the graphics buffer.  (Image has a straight edge with white screen adjacent.)Then redraws are slow on both.