GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSFileDepot: New Design/upgrades

Started by -Oz-, September 18, 2011, 12:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Oz-

I've post an updated uploader.  let me know if it works (sorry I can't do better than trial and error).  I've tested an upload on my end and it works.

The speeds slow down (sadly) once the upload has gone over a certain threshold.  That is because this site doesn't get enough donations to support a dedicated server with enough bandwidth.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Quote from: -Oz- on October 04, 2011, 12:02:36 PM
The speeds slow down (sadly) once the upload has gone over a certain threshold.

Can you tell us the threshold, or does it vary with traffic?

jbensman

Thanks!  I am starting the upload now.  I can tell you this, with the old one  it was uploading at 89 kbs.  This one is uploading at 130 kbs.  So I like it much better already! 

While I don't do this for the money, when you consider how much these maps would cost commerically it suprises me how few donations there are.  I bet I get less than a penny per hour of work in donations.  So it does not suprise me that there are so few donations for the site.  But it disappoints me that people don't give more donations. 

Seldom

What would happen if the site gave away maps, but charged a membership fee to access them?  Or would that get too complicated?

babj615

The speeds slow down (sadly) once the upload has gone over a certain threshold.  That is because this site doesn't get enough donations to support a dedicated server with enough bandwidth.

How much $$ would that require?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

jbensman

Thank you!!!!  It worked and MUCH faster!!!!!!!!!

Lets keep that uploader!!!!!

-Oz-

Quote from: babj615 on October 04, 2011, 01:26:55 PM

How much $$ would that require?
Over $100/mo
Quote from: jbensman on October 04, 2011, 03:27:32 PM
Thank you!!!!  It worked and MUCH faster!!!!!!!!!

Lets keep that uploader!!!!!
Sounds like a plan.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

Images from the splash page don't seem to be displayed any more

-Oz-

and fixed (not even sure how that didn't work)
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!