GPSFileDepot.com

Delete Mapquest topo files from C drive vs. gmapsupp.img backup

Started by DrRon, October 26, 2010, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRon

Without trying to learn how to use junctions, can I delete the many Gigs of C drive topo map files since I've got a backup of my gmapsupp.img file?

jbensman

I do not understand your quesition.  It does not make any sense.

Do you mean MapSource instead of MapQuest (and MapSource is the shell program, it is not a map)

What is a junction?

maps4gps

1. Do NOT simply delete the topo map files.  If you are not going to use a mapset again, run the uninstall file for that specific mapset; otherwise, MapSource may stop functioning as it may be looking for a file which is no longer there.
2. From your previous posts you seam to have a 60csx.  That unit needs all of the map files in a gmapsupp.img file.  That file can not be changed once it is created by MapSource.  If you want to increase the area of coverage or use an updated mapset, MapSource needs to be able to access all the individual files for all the mapsets you want to include in the new gmapsupp.img file.

Does MapQuest and junctions have something to do with the Mobile PC you mentioned in a previous post?

DrRon

Junctions are a way of locating the topo files on another drive to reduce the C partition size for system backup images.  It may be tricky for me to use.

The Mobile PC question is different.  I was trying to help a friend load a routable map of Italy on his unit for a trip he was taking.

The key points to me are to uninstall the mapset vs. delete the file, and to then reinstall them if I want to update my gmapsupp.img file...  sigh. :'(

Maybe I'll study junctions some more.
Thanks.

jbensman

I still do not understand what you are asking.  For example, "uninstall the mapset vs. delete the file" does not make any sense.  Do you mean on your GPS or on the computer?  If you mean on your computer , there are many files and you don't want to just delete them.

DrRon

Well, here's the problem...
When I download a topo map file from this site or any other, it comes in the form of an executable, which writes a large map file into my Program Files folder on my C drive.
My MapSource software can see the new map and I can load it onto my GPS unit.
If I'm careful and actually select ALL the map files I want to load onto my unit, the result is an updated gmapsupp.img file on the unit, actually on the SD card of the unit.  The unit can now read that file and display any of the topo maps I've loaded into it.
I have learned to "back up" this newly updated file on my computer in case I screw up and overwrite it with just a subset of the topo maps I've downloaded to my computer, or any one of a number of other ways.  (it's complicated... and painful).
Now comes the rub...  I've got all these pretty topo maps loaded on my GPS unit, and the updated gmapsupp.img file backed up on my computer.  But - I now have 12 GB of map files sitting in the Program File folder of my C drive, which bloats the partition and makes backup images LARGE.
So what's the problem with just deleting them?  I've got the maps in my GPS, right?  Right.
Except for one thing - two really.  I need to "uninstall" them, not delete them, so my MapSource software properly updates the registry.  And - if I do that, even with my big backup gmapsupp.img file tucked away, my MapSource can't display the map any more.  That's bad.
So... let's all learn junctions....

maps4gps

You could have specified a location other than the c: drive when the self-installer ran. ???
So why use junctions?

jbensman

You are right you have to uninstall the maps.

I beleive you can move the files to another directory or drive if you edit three entires in the regestry that tells MapSource where the files are.  You could also copy the files to the other drive, unistall them, then use Mapsettoolkit to install the maps into mapsource from the other drive.  I know this would work-but someone can correct me if doing this violates any rules/copyright.

I would say no need to back up you img file.  If something happens, reinstall the map into mapsource and resend the files.

DrRon

OK, let's review the bidding on this problem cuz I'd really like to know how to do it...
Here's the link to the original discussion that got me started thinking:

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1136.msg7273/topicseen.html#msg7273

I'd love to know for sure if MapSource would see the installed maps OK if I installed them to another partition in the first place...  I can't remember seeing that option, but wasn't really looking back then.

If I can just copy the maps to another drive, uninstall them from C and use Toolkit to re-map the registry location index that would be great!  But if it's that simple, why was Crew going through all the work with Junctions?

The question of backing up the img file seems to me to be one of computer time restoring it if it gets screwed.  Reinstalling in MS and resending took a lot of time if I remember right.

This is a great conversation for me - and for many other newbies I think...

I really appreciate your thoughts here...

Boyd

Sorry but I'm getting a little lost in this thread. I think maps4gps gave the correct advice - if you're talking about maps that you downloaded from here. Use the uninstall programs feature in windows to remove the existing map which is on the wrong drive (you could also look inside the folder where the map is installed and just run the uninstall script you find there).

Now download the map again (assuming that you didn't save the installer before) and run the installer. It will ask where you want to install. Just click the browse button and choose whatever drive/folder you want. Repeat as needed for all the maps you want to move. Quick summary: uninstall original map, download again, install in the new location.

This is easy and it works. In fact, last night I was playing with nRoute on my netbook and trying to get it to draw the map faster. I created a RAMdisk as drive E:. I then uninstalled my map from the C: drive and re-installed on the E: drive. Worked like a champ. (OT, but if you're interested, scrolling  the map is about 50% slower on the internal 5400RPM disk than on the RAM disk).

maps4gps

QuoteI'd love to know for sure if MapSource would see the installed maps OK if I installed them to nother partition in the first place...  I can't remember seeing that option, but wasn't really looking back then.
I have MapSource installed on an older computer with some of the mapsets installed to c:\Program_files\ and others installed to various folders on a D: drive.  Some were installed from the self-installing xxxx.exe file; others which did not have a self-installing xxxx.exe file were installed using MapSetToolKit. 

QuoteIf I can just copy the maps to another drive, uninstall them from C and use Toolkit to re-map the registry location index that would be great!  But if it's that simple, why was Crew going through all the work with Junctions?
Since Crew said he used MapSetToolKit to make the registry entries, using a junction program seams unnecessary; however, it appears no one, including myself, who has replied is familiar with a junction program.  Ask Crew why he did it that way if he still used MSTK.

QuoteThe question of backing up the img file seems to me to be one of computer time restoring it if it gets screwed.  Reinstalling in MS and resending took a lot of time if I remember right.
With over 12Gb of mapsets, aren't you continually adding to, etc. what is in the gmapsupp.img file?  MapSource can make a file listing all the files which went into making the gmapsupp.img file.  I have never used one, but I would expect it would not be that much longer than copying a gmapsupp.img backup file - probably a lot less time than we have spent discussing this.  Do it however you wish and let us all know what works and what does not.

DrRon

OK, Here's Crew's response:

Hi Ron, Yes you are right in that I use toolkit for registering downloaded maps like the ones off this site and also to give me the option of moving individual sections of large .img map files and registering those seperately so as to save even more space. For example; I might have an img file that contains all of Canada but I only use the maps from Ontario so I will open the .img file in a program like"Ultra ISO" and extract the maps I use frequently to a seperate Folder and register only those maps for use. Anyway the site I sent you to has alot of info and it is a little intimidating but I only look for and use the info which allows me to do what I need to do at that moment and forget the rest. In regards to your question today. I use Junction when I am not given the option of relocating an install from the C: drive, like some of Garmins map packs. Also if I ever update the software or map pack it still shows up to the Garmin update as being intact and hence no problems. I try not to get to deep or technical about things in general and finding "Junction" and useing it accomplished the task of freeing up my C: drive by allowing me to move some maps to another drive and have the Garmin software to work as normal, problem solved.
Crew

DrRon

Further...

Ok Ron just to be a little more clear.

1) Use Junction to move files that are installed through purchased software which does not allow you to install to another drive (like Garmin stuff). These will already registered and seen by Basecamp.

2) Use toolkit for custom maps made by you or others, say maps you download from this site to register them with programs like Basecamp.

DrRon

Finally...

1) Junction is for moving folders of software or say Map sets that are already registered and seen by Basecamp.

2) Toolkit is for registering custom maps from 3rd party, like from this site or mappacks that you have made so that programs like Basecamp can see them.
Crew