GPSFileDepot.com

move/link your Garmin maps to another drive/partition

Started by Crew, April 15, 2010, 06:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crew

I didn't like the fact that Topo Canada install offered no alternative install location. And I usually install certain programs to an alterante drive so as to keep my C: drive as small and as fast as possible, which I also did with my Windows cache. I remembered that I had a program called "junction Link Magic" which will setup a link to another patition/drive.
So I installed it then pointed it to my Garmin folder where Topo canada installed and to the new folder on the other hard drive where I'm moving the 4 plus gigs of maps to.  When setting up the link the folders have to be empty, then once the link is established you move all your maps from a temp directory to the new location. Then I ran "Map Set Toolkit" and reassigned the registry keys to the new location. Then ran my defrag routine and budabing smaller faster C: drive.
Here is a link to Junction Link Magic (which is free) then let me know I'll send you a copy, its only about 600 kB.
http://www.brothersoft.com/junction-download-155213.html
Crew
Where did I put my glasses (taking off glasses to clean on shirt tail)....oh!

DrRon

I'm interested in your topic, but the link you include is suspect to my firewall software.
Could you take another look at it please?

-Oz-

Why couldn't you just drag and drop the maps to the new location.  especially if you're modifying the registry keys afterward?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Crew

Nice addition with the MAC link, 10 Q.
DrRon, the original windows link above goes to Brothersoft and is safe. I'm using Avast and have no issues.
Crew

Crew

Sorry Oz, I wasn't ignoring you.
Well I think that for someone with limited PC skills this program helps by keeping you out of the registry. It also, I found, would not allow a link with some hardware arrangements,  For eg: It would not let me make a link from an ATA drive to a SCSI drive. I'm assuming that because of the partition types and on different controllers this could be a volatile situation. So it does check the integrity of your choices.
And so for the average user this is a safe and simple way to free up the C: drive.
Crew

-Oz-

I agree that staying out of the registry is good.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!