GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Calif Topo - mostly blank

Started by brucew6char, May 15, 2010, 06:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucew6char

I just found this site and thought I would look at the Calif Topo. I downloaded and clicked to install. Both Mapsource and Basecamp seem to recognize the installation as it shows as a map product. But only a small area around San Francisco appears, the rest of Calif is blank in both Mapsource and Basecamp. I've done 2 installs of Calif Topo with the same result.

Help, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

heyyou325

You need to get closer.  Put something in the center of the map that you want, then either hit plus, or you can go to the miles and make them read less.  If the spot disappears, go a bit further out and center again.  I find it easier to hit the plus and center just before it disappears.  My wife had the same problem a couple weeks ago.  You are just too far out.   To really see maps of towns and stuff, you need to be less than 1/2 a mile.  The Cal topo, in my opinion, is one that could use more town names tho to find where you are or places in it tho.  But I guess you could add them if you learned how.  I haven't tried yet.  You can center the spot on the map with the hand icon.  Just click it, and pull the map if you don't know.  I didn't learn too long ago, and just taught my wife recently, so I know firsthand the feelings of ineptness.

brucew6char

Thanks but I don't think that is the answer. I can see items around San Francisco Bay, San Pablo Bay and can zoom in on those area. Adjacent quadrants (not sure if this is the correct term) are blank. Roads, lakes that I can view in one quadrant just terminate as they enter the next quadrant. They do this at the boundary between the quadrants in a perfectly straight line.

I'm going to reinstall on a different computer that never had mapsource installed. I had a much earlier version of mapsource installed on this computer and even though I uninstalled the older version, possibly something is corrupted.   

brucew6char

Okay, tried on a second computer and had the same problem. This computer also had a older version of mapsource, so I don't have a clean machine to test with.

Then I downloaded Arizonia Topo and it works okay so the problem is with the California Topo. I'll rebuild the Calif installer as it appears that all the .img files are there once it is installed. Wouldn't have time to do this until week of 5/24. I did notice that Arizonia has a .mdx file, there isn't one for Calif. Don't know if this is the cause of the problem.

-Oz-

the .mdx is for searching that is why AZ has it.  Let me know what you discover because this is perplexing.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Darto

hi, i had the same symptoms.
here was how i solved.
in mapsource there is a select window which choses which set of maps
that map source currently displays.
i had the wrong source selected.
this produed detail info at one region but not all map regions.
tried every source listing in the drop down window and finally found
the correct one, then could see the detail every region.
took me couple hours to discover my problem.

anyways, seems like whatever software you are using it is reading
the wrong source, not the one you think it is. and you have to point
it to the correct source.

brucew6char

Okay, I was able to resolve my problem. I used MapSetToolKit to manually install the img files from the CaTopo directory and was now able to see all the detail for Calif. I also had done a lot of installs and uninstalls, so possibly the tip by Darto was what was causing my problem. I was using basecamp, not mapsource and didn't have very many map products to select, so it's hard to say if wrong selection was causing me the problem. And I had started with mapsource 2004 initially installed and maybe the uninstall left some debris that caused my problems with basecamp. 

flag2442

Im also having the same issue and do now understand where you change the "source".....can it be clarified?

Thank You

Flag

Jimbob

Select view, then Switch to Product, installed maps are listed. OR, under the main menu items in the upper left corner is a rectangular  bar, (icon) select it and the same list is displayed.
applies to mapsource.