GPSFileDepot.com

Option to send the map file to a place other than my device?

Started by MichaelJ07, November 07, 2010, 10:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelJ07

When sending the map file to my 60csx, do I always have to send it to my micro card (either in the device or from a reader?)  I thought once I saw I could put it anywhere on my system (the pull down window offered all my hard drives.)

Did I dream this?

Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boyd

Quote from: MichaelJ07 on November 07, 2010, 10:29:06 PM
Did I dream this?

I think so... I've never seen an option to send a map to your hard drive. Why would you want to do that anyway, the map is already on your hard drive?

What are you trying to do? Save groups of map tiles so that you can load them again later? You can save a .gdb file that will capture all the tiles you have selected, and that can be used to build the same mapset again (or at least I think so - have never needed this myself).

Alternately, just copy the gmapsupp.img file from the data card to a folder on your computer after you've sent it. You could name it something descriptive so that you'll remember what it is, then rename to gmapsupp.img later and copy it to a card if you want to reinstall on the GPS.

MichaelJ07

Yes, Boyd, it must have been a dream from another land and time far, far away.  But, I thought for sure.....

And yes, I do have several different map sets and I do copy them from the device to my drive and then rename them.  I reckon I don't need the whole country on my card if I'm only going to be in a few states.....for the rest of my life!!!   ???

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.  I appreciate it a whole bunch.

Mike, who occasionally dreams too much.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

maps4gps

In MapSource I have sent (built) to the GPSr and/or a thumb-drive.  Neither of the built-in hard drives have ever been listed as an option.  

----

MapSource will not send(build) to an external USB hard drive.  Anyone try BaseCamp?

Boyd

I just played around with this a bit. Seems that the criterion is that it must be a "removable drive" to be recognized as a destination by Mapsource. It immediately found an 8GB USB thumb drive. Then I connected an external 500GB USB hard drive. It didn't find that. Instead, the dropdown menu listed the computer's 3 empty internal slots for various types of data cards. If Itried to send data there, it said there was a communications error and I should insert a card (duh  ;) ).

jbensman

Send it to something you can send it to and then copy it to your hard drive

MichaelJ07

I just checked the thumb drive that was hiding on my desk.  Sure enough, there's a map file on it!  That must have been the time I saw other drives.

That was close, folks.  For a minute or two there, I thought, for the first time in my life, I was wrong about something   ::)

M

maps4gps

With an attitude like that, we might leave you to your own devices next time.  ::):D ;) ;D

MichaelJ07

Quote from: maps4gps on November 08, 2010, 06:22:37 PM
With an attitude like that, we might leave you to your own devices next time.  ::):D ;) ;D

Now THAT is freaking hilarious!  ;D  I'll do my best to befriend my devices......just in case.