GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Using marine charts in newer garmin unit.

Started by Mister URL, August 28, 2010, 02:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister URL

I have a Garmin nuvi 850. Long ago, I had a Garmiin GPSmap 276c for ocean navigation. I still have the Bluewater CD. Does anyone know if the nuvi will properly display marine charts? There is a mode for on the road, bicycling, and pedestrian but no marine mode on the nuvi.

Or, maybe downloading NOAA charts in bsb format and converting them to run on the Garmin?

Thanks.

Indrid Cold

Boyd

Unfortunately I don't think that will help with a Nuvi 850. The 850 doesn't have a boat mode. The nuvi 500 (as discussed in that link) does have a boating mode and is advertised as such. So this "hack" is just a way to access boating mode. And the OP already has a marine map in the first place, so it's a moot point.

See this: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=14176

This is from Garmin's knowledge base:

Question: 
Can I use marine map software on my nuvi?

Answer:
The Inland Lakes1 and LakeMaster marine map products are compatible with all nuvi units. However, they may work with limited capability. This means that the unit may be able to draw all of the map features from the Inland Lakes or LakeMaster software, such as lakes, nav-aids, depth contours, wrecks, etc., but the interactive capability of the maps may be limited. For example, you may not be able to "Find Nearest Marinas" or look up additional text about a specific mapping feature.

To be able to view this mapping properly on the nuvi you will need to do the following:

1. Deselect (uncheck) the preloaded City Navigator NT mapping in the Map Info screen.
   2. Change the Route Preference in your Navigation Settings to Off Road.
   3. Change the Map View in your Map Settings to North Up or Track Up.

To view the Inland Lakes and LakeMaster software available on our website, please visit the following link: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/maps/onthewatermaps

Notes:

1. The Inland Lakes Vision downloads and SD cards are not compatible with nuvi products.

2. The nuvi 500 series are compatible with the BlueChart G2 marine charts, which are available on our website at the following link: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6452

Last modified on:  04/29/2010

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on August 28, 2010, 07:16:09 PM
Unfortunately I don't think that will help with a Nuvi 850. The 850 doesn't have a boat mode.
Well, that solves that. :'(

Mister URL

Thanks to all of you. A bluechart that didn't show depths or nav-aids would not be much use. I should have let the chart software go when I sold the original unit. But I thought maybe I would get back into boating again and save myself some money.

Boyd

I'm not sure... but I think those maps become locked to the first GPS you install them on. Older products might have two unlock codes so you can use two units. Otherwise, that CD might not be of any value if you already installed it on a different GPS.

Mister URL

My oh my. Garmin has you covered every way you turn. I have another unrelated question but this seems to have fixed me up. Thanks.

maps4gps

Call Garmin and ask if that product had a second unlock code.

waleeed

I have a Garmin nuvi 850. Long ago, I had a Garmiin GPSmap 276c for ocean navigation. I still have the Bluewater CD. Does anyone know if the nuvi will properly display marine charts? There is a mode for on the road, bicycling, and pedestrian but no marine mode on the nuvi.