GPSFileDepot.com

gpx2img released - making super simple the conversion of GPX files to IMG

Started by Joel, August 23, 2010, 01:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel

Hi all,

I'd like to let you all know that this morning I have released version 1.0 of gpx2img (http://gpx2img.com)!

gpx2img is designed to allow simple conversion of gpx files into Garmin compatible IMG files. Rather than the free applications out there which require 10-15 steps and a lot of file editing and a few different applications, gpx2img allows you to convert your gpx files in just 2 steps! Step 1: Open your gpx files (can load multiple files at once) in gpx2img. Step 2) Click the "Convert" button!

gpx2img:

• creates transparent maps which can be loaded on top of other map products such as topo or city, etc.
  • allows editing of waypoints and tracks to change names and types
  • allows creation of waypoints
  • supports TYP files for creating maps with custom track colors/widths
  • allows setting zoom levels of maps
  • many other features

gpx2img is available as a demo from my website (http://gpx2img.com). The demo places restrictions in that it only allows 2 gpx files to be loaded at one time, forces a wait of 15 seconds before conversion is done and places a watermark 'city' on created maps.

gpx2img is available for $20USD, but from now until Sept 23, by purchasing through the 'buy' page on the website, you will save $7USD off your order.

If you have any questions, issues or suggestions, let me know either by replying to this post of emailing me at [email protected]

planet2009

Very interesting. Most welcome.

Seldom

Joel

Quote from: seldom_sn on August 24, 2010, 03:02:06 AM
If it supported routing it would be REALLY interesting.
Its being looked into as a 'someday' project.. Right now it would either require a very expensive version of the cgpsmapper DLL I use to create the IMG files or for me it implement IMG file creation myself based on some documentation out there/other open source projects. So I'm not making any guarantees, but it is being looked at..

-Oz-

Can you even get the dll anymore since he stopped doing all the commercial versions?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Joel

Quote from: -Oz- on August 27, 2010, 03:56:21 PM
Can you even get the dll anymore since he stopped doing all the commercial versions?
Perhaps not.. I purchased the DLL years ago when I started gpx2img as just a personal project to be used among a few friends. A future version of gpx2img will someday no longer rely on cgpsmapper though.

-Oz-

was just wondering; the demise of cgpsmapper seems like a pretty big game changer to me.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Well AFAIK, Stan still plans to make the final version available. So we should still have the same capabilities tomorrow that we have today. There just won't be any new features, so forget about making your own maps with DEM, etc.

astainback

Joel,
I just bought gpx2img today!!
Thanks!!

I will try it out tonight.

Adrian
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

dharris144

I have tried the trial version and it works great.  I will definitely purchase the software soon.

LucaPCP

Does this work on a Mac?

If not, is there any good solution for a Mac?

Boyd

I don't think there is any MacOSX software that can compile a garmin format map - is there? Maybe mkgmap running from the command line?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on December 20, 2010, 06:16:05 AM
I don't think there is any MacOSX software that can compile a garmin format map - is there? Maybe mkgmap running from the command line?
Might use mapcenter2 online from any Mac

Boyd

That's true - although, is it going away also when Stan stops work on cgpsmapper? And even so, how would you create .mp files on a Mac? As I've said elsewhere, I'm a huge Mac supporter. But I arrived at the inescapable conclusion that you need to use Windows if you want to do any serious mapmaking.

Joel

Quote from: Boyd on December 20, 2010, 08:16:23 AM
But I arrived at the inescapable conclusion that you need to use Windows if you want to do any serious mapmaking.

This is my feeling on this as well.. Although I use a mac for all my day-to-day computer work, a PC has far better tools than mac for working with a GPS. (Although Garmin is getting a little better with mac support than years ago, third party tools are nowhere near the same).

So a mac version of gpx2img might happen someday, but i wouldn't hold my breath..