GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

12-volt adaptor for the 60CSx

Started by MichaelJ07, June 10, 2010, 05:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelJ07

My buddy has a 12-volt adapter for his 60CSx that hooks to the serial pin "thingy."  I use the USB port when I'm in the truck.  Which is better for the device?

Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

HuntGSP

I don't think it makes a difference. I use the serial pin "thingy" with my 60CSx because I already had it for a previous unit. My Astro 220, which is a very similar unit, has only the USB port, so it must work OK. Have not tested it because I do not use the Astro in the vehicle.

maps4gps

How do you define 'better'?  If the unit is designed to handle either, I doubt it makes a difference.
I have been using a RadioShack auto to USB converter for over a year on my 76csx and more recently on my OR300 - works fine with both.

MichaelJ07

Thanks.

The reason I ask is because Cabelas or Amazon sell one but I didn't see any indication that it was for something like the 60CSx.  I kept seeing a reference to 76.

I couldn't really find but one doing an internet search.  Would you make a suggestion to get me started?  OTHER than, search the internet.... :)

Thanks again!
Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

MichaelJ07

Silly me.  I didn't phrase my question too well.  I was looking for a 4pin serial connector adapter.  I did find one at the Garmin site and at Cabelas.  I just got off the phone with Garmin Support and they said there is no difference between using the serial connector or the USB.  I already have a USB adapter, but I seem to hook everything up to it creating a spagetti bowl effect on my dash board (as if adding a serial port connector would eliminate any pre-existing wires.)

Thanks for being here.

Mike

JackErbes

The USB adapters provide 5V (a 500 mAh if they meet specs) and that is converted to the lower (3.5V nominal) voltage that the 60/76 Cx/CSx use internally. 

The power pins in the DC power/RS-232 Serial connector can take an input voltage of up to 36V DC.  The higher input  voltages on the DC power connector allow easy connection on trucks, planes, boats, and other places where 24V power is common and even up to 36V can be found occasionally.     

The older Garmin handhelds, and many of the older units in general, have a very robust and flexible DC power input scheme.  But you do have to be careful as a few of the older and many of the newer models have an external DC-DC inverter to drop the voltage and will only work with those.  The Zumo, Quest, and Quest II are a few of the older ones that have to have an externally regulated DC input voltage (usually 5V nominal).   I can't speak for anything newer than the zumo and 76Cx. 

I have heard that voltages as low as 9V will work on the DC input pins on the 60/76 models but I have not tested that on my 76Cx.  The are many other Garmin handhelds and dash mounted units that will use the up to 36V DC input and many older models that would use 9-35V inputs.

The voltages are spelled out better in the specifications in the User's Manual than they are in most of the online descriptions and advertising (which sort of imply that there is a 12V limit on the DC power). 

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP76Cx_OwnersManual.pdf

The only issue I have with using the USB for power is the USB plug sticking straight out the back can make it a little awkward to use in some places and it may also create of point of fragility the way it sticks out.  I'm not sure how much stress that mini USB socket will stand.   

I added a Motorola SKN6182A mini-USB Right Angle adapter to the end of the USB cable I use in the car to keep the plug from sticking straight out.  I put that on the cable and put adhesive heat shrink tube over it to make it a more or less permanent part of the cable.  You can find the adapters at many cellular shops.

Jack

MichaelJ07

Great info, Jack.  Thanks.

I agree that the USB connection makes it awkward to attach to anything in my truck.  I like your suggestion about a right angled adapter and will check those out.

Great info.  Thanks.