GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

High Res Water Data from new "National Map Viewer"?

Started by NeuroDoc, June 15, 2010, 09:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeuroDoc

Does anyone know the proper procedure to ensure high-resolution water data is downloaded from the new National Map Viewer?

I can't seem to make the old NHD server work for me. But the new National Map Viewer allows one to download Hydrography data, I just don't know how this data compares to the area, flowline, and waterbody data one gets by following the map-making tutorial.

Thanks in advance.

Seldom

I read they were shutting all the old servers down.  I suspect it's the same data, just need to learn the new interface and be patient.  

I just downloaded a sub-basin.  It matches some High res data I downloaded from the old site.  Is there a way to tell from the numbering system?

NeuroDoc

That's my understanding as well. All GIS data will soon be available only from the National Map. I've requested two sub-basins and am waiting for notification to download them.

Personally, I find the new system easier to navigate and download data compared to the old seamless server for NED and the NHD server for water data. The only thing that might be an issue is there's a 1.5G limit on data that can be downloaded, but when you put data requests in your cart there's no indication as to what size that data will be.

Seldom

The old NHD site gave you options for "Hi Res" and "Local Res" data.  I downloaded a Hi Res shapefile, but I didn't see any options for other resolutions.

NeuroDoc

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 16, 2010, 10:18:32 AM
The old NHD site gave you options for "Hi Res" and "Local Res" data.  I downloaded a Hi Res shapefile, but I didn't see any options for other resolutions.

Was this labelled "Hi Res" somewhere, or did you just download the shapefile?

-Oz-

guess I need to download the update.  I think I used the new version to download my Florida data.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

NeuroDoc

So I requested the NHD data for each sub-basin, and it appears to be hi-res data by default.

I also had the opportunity to have an e-mail conversation with one of the guys at the USGS (because my initial request for NHD data generated an error) and asked him why the pre-staged data wasn't available in the personal geodatabase format, and only in the proprietary ESRI geodatabase. He told me he'd investigate and get back to me. Here's hoping for an answer soon.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!