GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New 3700 series Nuvi's from Garmin

Started by Boyd, April 19, 2010, 11:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

A pretty obvious attempt to copy the iPhone design, but these new models look pretty interesting. They have finally done one thing I've been hoping for - the unit has an accelerometer and switches automatically between landscape and portrait modes (like.... an iPhone :D). This could really help make the same unit better suited to handheld and automotive use. And it's funny, because one of their earliest models, the GPS V, could switch between landscape and and portrait modes back in the 1990's.

But based on my experiences with the Nuvi 1350 (one of their most recent models), topo maps may not fare so well. I guess we will need to wait a few months to find out....

http://www.gpsreview.net/garmin-nuvi-3700-series-3750-3760t-3790t/

alpine

Yep. If they made it waterproof, a 5" screen and a three-axis compass, they would have something.

Oh well, I guess I'll hold my breath until they make my perfect GPSr.

-Oz-

There are just way too many nuvi series around.  I think they really need to start cutting some to limit confusion.

That does look interesting although I'm not sure why in the car you'd want it in portrait mode.  walking around perhaps?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Yeah, portrait mode would be for handheld use. These new models have the special pedestrian mode that Garmin introduced in the 1xx0 series last year. It changes the style of the map display and provides directions in a format that is more pedestrian friendly. Also adds support for routing via mass transit using their new CityXplorer series maps.

The regular widescreen Nuvi's are really awkward to hold in your hands due to the width. But the same sized unit would be great in portrait mode. And these new models have 800x400 screens at 4.3" which beats any other handheld GPS by a mile (Oregon is currently the highest res screen at 240x400).

Of course, these new models don't look like they would fare so well if you dropped them on a rock or in the creek...  :o

Indrid Cold

Looks pretty cool, I like the 3D perspective. Would be cool if it did BirdsEye and .kmz :o

alpine

Ok we have our shopping list for Garmin for their next GPSr.

BirdsEye, handles KMZ, 5" screen with 800 x 400 resolution, waterproof, 3 axis compass.

What we don't need is the MP3 player (my ipod does that very well thank you) or FM traffic (traffic in Idaho?).

Garmin are you listening?

Boyd

I would get my credit card out for that.  :) 

Just give us us the same Oregon software on a big high res screen with a really bright backlight and name it for some other Western state.

Boyd

Quote from: alpine on April 22, 2010, 07:35:47 AM
Ok we have our shopping list for Garmin for their next GPSr. BirdsEye, handles KMZ, 5" screen with 800 x 400 resolution, waterproof, 3 axis compass.

If the new GPSMap 78 series is any indication, we are not going to get everything on that shopping list. Many people expect a GPSMap 60 update next which will share similar hardware. What a disappointment that they are only putting a 160x240 screen on these new models.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=161&compareProduct=63601&compareProduct=63602&compareProduct=63603

-Oz-

Wow, how did I miss the new 70 series?

That is kinda an ugly unit.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!