GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topo Process Program (BETA!)

Started by -Oz-, December 14, 2008, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shutle64

I found a list of sub-basins for washington at this website.

http://cfpub.epa.gov/surf/locate/hucperstate_search.cfm?statepostal=WA

There is 73 total for washington.  You can look up other states there too.

John

-Oz-

Quote from: shutle64 on December 27, 2008, 09:27:49 AM
Ok.  It's working for topo, it making shape files.  Is it normal for it not make a shape file for certain quads, or do I need to have one for every quad.  The very first quad there wasn't a shape file created.

John
Glad its working but for each folder that has a tif file (make sure it has a tif not arcgrid) you should get a shape file, dbf, prj for each folder.
Quote from: deepspace on December 27, 2008, 08:04:07 AM
the nhd query's which are extracted to the bin folder as per the water data page of the tutorials. They remain in the bin folder:
area.sql.txt, waterbody ect.
I'm confused, this program (at the start of this thread) is very much separate from the tutorial.  Are you using the program or following the tutorial; that would totally change how I answer your questions.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Quote from: shutle64 on December 27, 2008, 09:53:54 AM
I found a list of sub-basins for washington at this website.

http://cfpub.epa.gov/surf/locate/hucperstate_search.cfm?statepostal=WA

There is 73 total for washington.  You can look up other states there too.

John
That is useful for figuring out which subbasin I might be missing but the ftp only has sub-regions.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

shutle64

Just ran across the page to download national watershed shape files.

http://www.epa.gov/waters/data/downloads.html#national

Just curious if the detail is just as good.  I just started downloading the 2 files to try out.

John

-Oz-

Let me know if they're any good. The stupid NHD servers are holding up my next two maps so while I wait I'm updating the roads in my other ones.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Quote from: -Oz- on December 27, 2008, 10:45:52 AM
I'm confused, this program (at the start of this thread) is very much separate from the tutorial.  Are you using the program or following the tutorial; that would totally change how I answer your questions.
I have been using the beta program. I just decided to try it the old way since all I was doing was spinning my wheels. I have used the water and transport no less than a dozen times now only to always end up with just a prj file in each folder.
My question was since it did not work using the method from the tutorial yesterday (which had worked before) maybe the 2 issues are some what connected via possibly the txt files I mentioned or something else. Since the result of running the sql final yesterday afternoon after combing all the statewide  files resulted in a shape file that was the same one created from my Olympic peninsula map (not the whole state as I had combined) it seems there is some conflict some where.
After all if no one else is having a issue it must be my machine
Cheers-Marc

shutle64

Quote from: shutle64 on December 27, 2008, 10:51:27 AM
Just ran across the page to download national watershed shape files.

http://www.epa.gov/waters/data/downloads.html#national

Just curious if the detail is just as good.  I just started downloading the 2 files to try out.

John

Attaching a picture of what in the shapefiles.  It's looks incomplete for certain states.  Gpsmapedit would not open for the biggest file, I had to use arcExplorer.

John

John

-Oz-

Topo process uses sql files in the directory where topo process is located.  Most of those files have the extension .sql.  It loads the directory files "on the fly".  in topo_process' directory there should be a settings.ini file.  Can you zip that up and attach it to your next post.  That may help give me an idea of what is happening.

If you're doing it the old way it should just work just like olympia.  If its having issues here you are not alone.  Make sure that you have the postgreSQL data filled out correctly (username and all that). Then hit SAVE SETTINGS.

Please post your settings.ini so I can take a look.

I also downloaded what I thought would be high-res data for all of Ohio from the nhd ftp server but its a mdb database so I have to figure out how to open it I guess.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

here are the settings:
[Software]
fwtools=C:\Program Files\FWTools2.2.8\bin
postgis=C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin
cgpsmapper=C:\washington\cgpsmapper.exe
[PostGIS]
host=localhost
database=postgis
[User]
trans=C:\Documents and Settings\Marc\Desktop\topo_process.1.0.15
nhd=C:\washington\water
I also unzipped it directly to the Washington folder to give it a try. Here are those settings:
[Software]
cgpsmapper=C:\Program Files\cGPSmapper\cgpsmapper.exe
[User]
dem=C:\washington\dem\78523481
interval=50
trans=C:\washington\transport
gnis=C:\washington\gnis
mp=C:\washington\dem\62841820
[PostGIS]
host=localhost
database=postgis
Cheers-Marc

-Oz-

Marc

The immediate thing that jumps out at me is you're missing a postgreSQL username.  It should be postgres.  Go and add that then click "save settings"

The reason that it worked one time and gave you olympia is because that is the data that is still in postgresql; once it loads and the new stuff it'll delete that stuff.

Once the username is saved it'll be at the bottom of the settings.ini file and should read user=postgres
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Changed the settings:
[Software]
[PostGIS]
host=localhost
database=postgis
user=postgis
[User]
ran it twice I still have nothing. I think its best to maybe give up.

shutle64

Quote from: deepspace on December 28, 2008, 12:26:36 PM
Changed the settings:
[Software]
[PostGIS]
host=localhost
database=postgis
user=postgis
[User]
ran it twice I still have nothing. I think its best to maybe give up.

user=postgres   The username it typed in wrong.

-Oz-

i believe shutle caught your error.
use this as your settings.ini file:
[Software]
[PostGIS]
host=localhost
database=postgis
user=postgres
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Sorry for not replying in a timely fashion, I fell behind the 8 ball on something. It makes total sense and will post (I am sure) a mission accomplished Tuesday. Thank you all for bearing with me as I muddles through this!
Cheers-Marc

deepspace

Thank you all for your help things appear to have worked except I still have no M_TYPE selections. In water I have length and area plus a few others in transportation.  I have area and length options in water. Best choices?
Thanks-Marc