GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Dakota 20 map selection

Started by hph1911, February 14, 2010, 02:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hph1911

I have downloaded two maps from this site (Arkansas topo and US-P-SC, arkansas section) to a 2GB mini SD card using a card reader.  The basemap is on the Dakota memory.  When I go to Setup>map>map info select map...only the basemap and the us-p-sc map options are showing.  The AR topo map is not showing and there is no others options, boxes to click, etc.

When the Dakota is hooked to the computer it shows the basemap under Drive G, and the two maps I downloaded on Drive H (card) which I feel is correct (hopefully)  These I just drag and dropped on Windows Explorer.

When I tried to download one then the other, it would just overwrite the first map and show it and the basemap.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it the Dakota???

Boyd

You can't just drag and drop the files that you download from here. They are installers which must be run. See this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

If you don't have Mapsource, do this first before installing: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

After installing, you will find the maps in the \Garmin folder in a file named GMAPSUPP.IMG. If you try to send another map to your GPS, it will indeed erase the previous one that you installed because Mapsource always names its files GMAPSUPP.IMG (which is necessary on older Garmin units).

On your Dakota, after installing the first map, browse to the Garmin folder and rename GMAPSUPP.IMG to something else - any name is OK as long as it has a .img file extension. So you could name the Arkansas topo arkansas.img. Now repeat this process for any other maps you want to install.

After doing this, drag the map files to a folder on your computer and it will be easy to manage your maps in the future by just dragging and dropping these files in the Garmin folder.

hph1911

Thanks Boyd
I already had the maps downloaded using Mapsource.  I think my filing system is wrong.  I created a folder "Custom Maps" under Garmin.  All the maps went into this folder.  I renamed the maps on the Mapsource page using the box at the bottom of the box that lists all the sections you highlight to create your map, but did not put ".img" on the end.  One map will load just fine on the Dakota.

I think I need to just delete everyting and start over or can I just rename my files and ADD the ".img" at the end.  I don't think I ever saw a GMAPSUPP.IMG file

Boyd

Well here's the confusion... this site calls all of its Garmin maps "custom maps". However "custom maps" means something very different to Garmin. This is the feature on the Dakota/Colorado/Oregon that lets you use images as maps - like this one of mine: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/237/

The CustomMaps folder must ONLY be used for that kind of map, and not a regular (vector based) Garmin map. Files in the CustomMaps folder will have a .kmz extension.

Files with an .img extension must go into the Garmin Folder.

Seldom

Quote from: hph1911 on February 14, 2010, 06:42:02 PM

I think my filing system is wrong.  I created a folder "Custom Maps" under Garmin.  All the maps went into this folder.  I renamed the maps on the Mapsource page using the box at the bottom of the box that lists all the sections you highlight to create your map, but did not put ".img" on the end.  One map will load just fine on the Dakota.

I think I need to just delete everyting and start over or can I just rename my files and ADD the ".img" at the end.  I don't think I ever saw a GMAPSUPP.IMG file

As Boyd states the folder is called "CustomMaps" (no space).  I believe the file system on the DK is similar to the file system on my OR.  If so, multiple IMG files can be stored in a Garmin folder, preferably on removable memory.  You use MapSource or BaseCamp to make a gmapsupp.IMG in the Garmin folder.  You then rename that IMG something useful like "myhikes.IMG" and create another gmapsupp.IMG, rename it ad infinitum.

-Oz-

All of the above is true; if anyone has suggestions on how to change the tutorials to make this easier to understand I'm all ears.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

hph1911

Ok Guys, I deleted Mapsource and moved all the old maps away from the program files.  I re-downloaded Mapsource.  Then I re-downloaded the maps again.  All the maps I wanted are showing in Mapsource on the pull down window.....BUT....there is no file called GMAPSUPP.IMG under Garmin.  The only map in the Garmin folder is the basemap PCBSMP2.  All the maps are in Mapsource.

When I use the Mapsource map tool and hi-light the area I want from the map, and all the .img files show up in the box on the left, can I just use the "map set name" box at the bottom and rename the file with an .img file extension and then download it to the Dakota and do each map like that and maybe it won't overwrite the first map.  I was really expecting to see that GMAPSUPP.IMG but its not there.  Still confused.  The tutorial is plain enough and seems simple but something is just not working for me.

-Oz-

You have to send it to the GPS/memory card to get it to create gmapsupp.img; did you do that step?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

After selecting the quads/tiles, use the send to device/GPS icon.  MapSource will create the gmapsupp.img file and send it to the memory card (or the GPSr's internal memory - you get to select which; they are standard drive letters).  You need to have a folder on the card named 'Garmin'.

Boyd

Quote from: hph1911 on February 15, 2010, 06:26:44 PMThen I re-downloaded the maps again.  All the maps I wanted are showing in Mapsource on the pull down window.....BUT....there is no file called GMAPSUPP.IMG under Garmin.  The only map in the Garmin folder is the basemap PCBSMP2.

Sorry, you are really getting confused here. The PCBSMP2 is a file on your computer which Mapsource uses. Don't mess with any of that stuff. Don't even look in those folders, you should never have to. Mapsource uses these files to build what is sent to the GPS, you don't need to access them yourself. You really don't even need to know anything about .img files. Mapsource handles all that for you.

After selecting the map segments you want use Send to Device. As the others said, it will create the gmapsupp.img file in the \Garmin folder on either your GPS or a memory card (depending on which you choose). AFTER you have done this and verified that the map works on your GPS, THEN you can change the name of gmapsupp.img to something else. This file will be located either on the GPS itself or on the memory card. When you connect the GPS to your computer in disk mode, you can browse to it. DO NOT mess with any of Mapsource's own program or data files.

hph1911

Finally.....I got it to work.  I really appreciate all the input from everyone helping me to understand this.

All the downloaded maps are on the Dakota and working and I can switch between maps.  There was one map when I changed the name from the GMAPSUPP.IMG to ARK Topo.img on the computer while hooked to the GPSr, the name did not change on the GPSr when I unplugged it from the computer and turned the GPSr on.  It listed the numbers of the first three .img maps in place of the new name.  Can you help me with this?

-Oz-

Where it names  one first three images is very common; don't worry about that.

You can still turn the mapsets on and off with ease.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Quote from: hph1911 on February 16, 2010, 07:37:12 PMThere was one map when I changed the name from the GMAPSUPP.IMG to ARK Topo.img on the computer while hooked to the GPSr, the name did not change on the GPS

The map name which the GPS displays has nothing to do with the name of the file. It comes from information inside the file. So changing the file from GMAPSUPP.IMG somethingelse.img will have no effect on what you see on the GPS.

But I would suggest not using blank spaces in the filename, as in your example "ARK Topo.img". That might create a problem. We have seen a number of odd filename-related problems with the custom maps feature on the Dakota and Oregon. To play it safe, I only use letters and numbers in my filenames, with no special characters and no whitespace. Your mileage may vary.  :)

hph1911

Again, thank you all very much for all the helpful information.  You have been a great help getting me through all this with a limited amount of frustration on my part.  I really enjoy this site and have learned a lot.