News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Newbie wants to buy a Garmin Legend hcx, but confused with maps

Started by budge67, December 17, 2008, 03:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budge67

Hi all,
I never had or used a GPS before, ever, so pardon the dumbness here. Will be needed for marking hunting, fishing spots mainly, and finding the car in the woods LOL. But would like to have turn by turn driving directions as well. Might take up geocaching.All the sites/post say get two different units for this, but my question is this, as there seems to be GPS mapmaking gurus here.....

I want a good back woods unit, and the legend hcx seems like a good one, and priced ok. From what I understand from your site, is that I can get very good (free) driving and topo maps here, but the Legend uses a SD card. Does anyone know if I can download the maps from here to that unit? Can I accomplish what I want to do with this unit, or should I be looking at another unit? Does the maps save to the card (s), or the unit? and does it install via the USB cable, or do I have to save to the card by some other means and just insert into gps unit. The Garmin site is pretty lame for explainations, unless you just buy their maps.
It seems that most of the info is pretty technical on here, but I think what I want should be pretty simple?

Thanks in advance
Steve

maps4gps

Simple is never simple.  I do not have a Legend so can not be specific about that model.  The different models are designed to be best in different fields.  The free maps have the roads, but making them routable (turn by turn directions, etc) in much more complex - best to check for your specific area.  I believe most of the smaller Garmin units use a 'micro'/phone SD card, not a full sized SD card.  About $10 for 1Gb, $15+ for 2Gb, over 2Gb are not fully support by Garmin.
Need to put the maps on the card via MapSource, SendMap, etc.  USB to the GPSr (slow and sometimes not to reliable) or via multicard reader or slot in the computer if the micro-card came with an adapter to the full sized SD card. 

I'd say you would do OK with a Legend hcx for the price.  The 'c' models for color for the maps; the 'x' models for the removable memory card to store the maps.  Probably figure 1-3Mb of memory per 7 1/2 quad area depending on the area and level of detail available.  I think the internal memory for the non-x units is in the 16-32Mb range.  If you activities may get the unit wet, you may want to consider a 'water-proof' unit.  If you have an REI, or other store which carries various units nearby, go check them out - the button controls, etc differ in size and placement on the models.

-Oz-

the legend hcx will withstand some water (6 ft of water for 30min then dry it out before use).  It also can do auto-routing but you'll have to buy City Navigator for that (i've heard people found it as low as $60 but its normally $100).  Make sure you get City Navigator 2009 NOT the NT version.  if you just want roads that will not give you turn-by-turn directions we have a great map for that.

Definitely get a 2gb microSD card (they're like $4-6+S/H from Newegg.com).

Now, I have a 60csx and used it for a couple years for driving and it worked great but it was time consuming to type in addresses and stuff.  I've since gotten a Nuvi and its much much faster.  With that said you can definitely make due with outdoor GPS units but at some point may want to get a Nuvi (esp since they're under $200 for good ones).

Now, as to loading maps.  Maps are stored on the card only in the new models.  Waypoints and routes are stored on the internal memory.  They can be loaded over the USB cord but it is much slower than a memory card reader.

Any other questions let us know.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

budge67

Thanks for all the info. You have made my mind up. I think I will just plan on buying the nuvi for the car, and keep my eyes peeled for a handheld for running around the woods. I noticed they are popping up on craiglist and ebay.

Steve

diablo508

Another Newbie, thought I'd jump on this thread instead of starting another as it is related. 

Just before Christmas I think that Ebay was good to me will all new stuff.  Legend HCx, 128 mg card, City Navigator NT, dc cord, usb cord, and car winshield mounting unit- 135 delivered.  I added a 2 gig card and a AC cord for 15, so I have 150 in the whole deal.  I hope that's good for a starter unit.  I've found a few geocaches and got step by step directions to a new address. 

I've gotten the map loading tasks worked out, but I've heard to get City Navigator 2009 and not NT.  Is there a patch or update?  What are the best map options for turn by turn in the US and topos for the southeast especially GA.  We'll be off road a bit in the North Georgia Mountains.

Thanks

diablo508

One last Q.  The options on my new Legend including toggling the WAAS/EGNOS on or off.  What is this function and when should I turn it on or off?  Thanks

-Oz-

leave it on is the best bet.  WAAS/EGNOS are satellites (and used to be/still could be ground stations) that issue corrections to the GPS data.  They correct things like atmospheric interference.  If you get a good WAAS signal it makes the GPS that much more accurate.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!