GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New user nuvi 550 question

Started by stickbob, January 09, 2010, 04:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickbob

I just found this site and i may be in the wrong kind of forum.This may be a dumb question. I just got my first gps. a nuvi 550. Straight out of the box it worked fine.The second day i use it the screen is black below 5 miles. Just the roads are visable. I installed the topo U>S> 24K from Garmin when i first got the gps. every thing worked fine the first day. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

trapperrick

Dad the topo onto MapSource first? If not that is what you need to do then I would get a micro SD card then send it from mapsource to the sd card in your nuvi 550.

trapperrick

Sorry ab the original reply. Did you send the topo to MapSource first?

Alan2

Why place the maps on a SD card rather than in the Nuvi memory?  I', using a 765T

Boyd

As long as the maps fit in internal memory there is, of course, no need for a card. In fact, on a couple different Nuvi's that I've tried, placing the maps on an SD card causes them to boot more slowly than putting the same map in internal memory.

Alan2

Where does the created maps sit in the Nuvi?  What's it's file name.  Topday I just cannot get the maps to display other than the normal Garmin maps.  When I tried NYState and NE1, only the base map showed.

Seldom

I'm pretty sure you'd need to install the maps to the Nuvi or a card using MapSource or Sendmap 2.0.
Either will create a gmapsupp.img file.  I think Nuvi's need a gmapsupp.img.  Although it may boot slower, I'd suggest creating it in a Garmin folder on a removable card.  MapSource will do this for you.  SendMap will require you to make the folder.

Boyd

Do you already have the maps in a file? If so, name the file gmapsupp.img and copy it to the \Garmin directory in internal memory (if there's room). You can only store one supplemental map on your Nuvi this way, since the file must be called gmapsupp.img. You can also insert an SD card, create a \Garmin directory on it, and put a second gmapsupp.img file there.

To use more maps on your model, you will need to use Mapsource and combine them into one big gmapsupp.img file.

alpine

Boyd: The only problem I see with installing additional maps on the Nuvi instead of the SD card, is the fact that sooner or later you will want to change those maps.

If they are on the SD card, no problem. If they are on the internal memory, you may have a problem.

As for it taking more time to boot up, I'd say you're splitting hairs. I have three additional maps on the Micro SD card on the Nuvi 500. And it takes maybe 10 to 15 seconds additional to boot up.

No big problem, in my world.

Boyd

You are right about startup times, it's only slightly longer with the card.

I don't follow your point about changing maps in internal memory though? If you plug the Nuvi into your computer, it behaves exactly the same as the memory card.

Also, the newest Nuvi series - 1200/1300/1400 do not have any map filename restrictions. On these units, you can create a \Map directory at the root of the internal memory filesystem (probably also on a card, but I haven't tried). Now drop any map files you want into that directory. As long as they have an .img extension, the Nuvi will recognize them. You can name them whatever you like, however when you choose maps on the Nuvi you won't see those names. The name assigned to the mapsets themselves is what will be shown.

But if you put .img files in the \Garmin directory (as you would do on other models), they are ignored! It will not even recognize gmapsupp.img in the \Garmin directory. On a memory card, it DOES recognize gmapsupp.img in the Garmin directory however - weird.

On the Oregon/Dakota/Colorado there are no map filename restrictions either. However, on these models you need to put your files in the \Garmin directory (internal memory or a card). Call the files whatever you like, just be sure they have the .img extension.

I'm curious - do either of these techniques work on your Nuvi 500? Are you running the newest firmware? I though I'd read that it was like the Oregon and would recognize any .img file in the \Garmin directory.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on January 13, 2010, 09:16:10 AM
I'm curious - do either of these techniques work on your Nuvi 500? Are you running the newest firmware? I though I'd read that it was like the Oregon and would recognize any .img file in the \Garmin directory.

I'm curious too.  I tried dropping some separate IMG files into the Garmin directory on a friend's Nuvi 550.  The maps couldn't be found, so I made him a gmapsupp.IMG using sendmap 2.0.  I won't know how that works for a few days.

trapperrick

I have downloaded the PA planimetric topo and the WV topo onto mapsource from this site and sent them to a micro sd card in my nuvi 500 and as long as that map is selected it works great. I have read somewhere that any maps loaded should be through the card and not onto the internal memory. I believe I read this in manual thatcame with the unit. The new units have alot of internal memory so I'm not sure why they claim it is better to use a card.

alpine

I have't tried transferring .img files. Last time I fiddled with the Nuvi 500, it bricked. I'll let someone else plow that field.

I have duplicate maps in the Nuvi 500. I cannot get rid of them. Hence my suggestion to only put maps and routes on the SD card.