GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Sloooow Download!

Started by Chull, October 22, 2009, 03:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chull

I had the NYS Topo and then my computer did a #2 in the bed.
1st time I downloaded NYS Topo 111-4744-ntopo_install.exe in mayb3 3, 4 minutes - now I is taking over 6 hours and has every times out after a few hours and Ihave to start all over again.
Any idea if there are any problems on this end? I have been able to download other things with no problems - but these sort of things could be anywhere.
The 1st go around the NYS Topo looked Great!!!
Thanks and Great Work!!

maps4gps

My DSL for 145Mb at 160Kps would be about 15 minutes.  I just tried it; it began at 50Kps and with 10 seconds was going at less than 20Kps.  Sounds like heavy usage on the host computer or a router going to the host.  Suggest trying later or tomorrow.  If not normal tomorrow afternoon, let support know.

Tried a few others with similiar results.

---   Still slow for me on Friday morning.

Chull

-Oz-

My internet where I am is just slow period so I can't really test it.

I know if you're downloading from mirror.gpsfiledepot.com its slower than gpsfiledepot.com . I check witht he host and nothing appears to be going on...
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Possibly related? Yesterday (Sunday 10/25) the site was completely unavailable to me starting sometime in the afternoon - maybe 3:00PM? - until at least 9:30PM which is when I stopped checking. Both the forums and the download site would not open. My browser just timed out trying to open either one. No problem accessing other internet sites during the same period.

maps4gps

Ditto Boyd,s experience.  
A test transfer this morning began at 40-60kps and had slowed to under 18kps by 25-30 seconds.
In the past, download have gone at 160kps - normal for DSL.

I have seen 3 things that might cause this (there are probably others)
1.  Heavy useage, especially by those with faster transfer capability - fairly common with the USGS seamless server.
2.  Bandwidth it restriced (pipe is chiked) by 'powers to be' as they feel your usage is adversly effecting others.
3.  A router goes bad which can slow transfers but still pass data.  Taking an electrical hit can damage part of its lookup table data.

--- Just uploaded Puerto Rico and it went at the usual 55+- kps

Boyd

I have a couple new maps to upload later today (which is why I kept checking yesterday). Will let you know how that goes.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

GPSMap 60CSx

I know when I downloaded Fl. topo it took hours, it also took Ibcus hours to download.

Boyd

Sorry for not following through. All my uploads have gone without issue. It's been about a week since the last one.

maps4gps

Just tried a download and it was back to 160Kps. 
For the past two weeks, the downloads were going at 20 or 30 kps; however the uploads still were at the usual rate.

-Oz-

Odd but glad its back to how it should be.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!