GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Card Reader?-Map Transfers.

Started by sunnybrook, November 28, 2008, 06:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunnybrook

I want to transfer the Arizona Topo that I got from this site to my Garmin 60CSX and have read the instructions on this site and in the Garmin user's manual.  What is a "card reader"?

Here is a portion of the instructions from this site:

Now plug your GPS in to the computer or but (I presume the word is "put") the memory card from the GPS (or the one you will use on the GPS) into your card reader.

I want to transfer the Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico topos to a 2GB memory card that I have purchased separately but don't know what a "card reader" is. 

Secondly, and more importantly, I don't understand the concept of map transfer in general.  Can one transfer an entire topo, like Arizona as I stated in the prior paragraph?  If I create a "small" map containing waypoints or a route on the Arizona map, do I then transfer the "small" map that I have created and does that map become a "map choice" on my Garmin or does transferring the small map just overlay the big map?   Currently I have just the base map on my Garmin 60CSX and I want to use the device for off roading and hiking in Arizona.  I'm having a very, very, hard time understanding mapping, GPS units, and the use of software like MapSource (and ExpertGPS) to connect the two and use the GPS.

-Oz-

I fixed that spelling error in the tutorial.

Now, a card reader is something that allows you to read flash memory cards such as:

It allows you to use USB 2.0 (high speed) to transfer the map. Just saves a bit of time.

I also updated the tutorial to include a step 8 that tells you to repeat steps 2 through 7 for each map.

In your case you would select the entire Arizona topo, then the New Mexico topo, then the Utah topo.  Then transfer them all at once to the GPS.

To answer your other questions.  If you transfer the any map to the GPS it becomes your primary map and all the other maps you loaded are removed (except the basemap it is always there).

So if you load Arizona and then seperately load New Mexico you will get New Mexico but lose Arizona.  Thus you need to load all of them at once each time you update maps.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!