GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin GPSMap60Csx SD card question

Started by astainback, August 14, 2009, 11:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astainback

Do I have to format the card before putting it in the GPS?
I bought a 2GB card.
The unit came with a 256MB card.
I took the 256 out today and put the 2GB in.
I am transferring some maps now through the USB cable straight to the device.
Next time, I am going to transfer maps straight to the card.
Just trying them out.
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

astainback

The map loaded fine.  So I guess maybe I didn't need to.  Or maybe I need to pull it and format it again anyway..

One question about the NC topo map.  The map is awesome.  The fact that it has the streets and roads on it is good too!!  The names of the streets and roads are really long though, because they have the address block numbers too.  Is there a way to shorten this?

Another quick one.. is it possible to mix the topo map with the street map?  Part topo, part street? 
Thanks,
Adrian
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

astainback

One more..
I downloaded the state/county map that is transparent.
How do I add that to the topo or the street map?
I see the instructions on how to load a map, but how I load the transparent over the other map?

Thanks!!
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

alpine

I would say it depends.

On my Nuvi 500 I have three maps loaded and all three are checked off as being loaded. The Nuvi handles it very well.

The maps are the Nav Tek that came with the 500, NW TOPO and a Idaho Topo (both TOPOs are from this site).

maps4gps

If you load directly to an SDcard, make sure the gmapsupp.img file gets transfered to a gramin
folder on the card.

QuoteThe names of the streets and roads are really long though, because they have the address block numbers too.  Is there a way to shorten this?
Not that I am aware of.  That information would have to not be included when the files were created.  It took some extra work to include that info.

Quoteis it possible to mix the topo map with the street map?  Part topo, part street?
I am not sure what you mean?  The NC topo mapset is one 'map' - contours and street data is in one file for each quad/tile.  Have NC topo and Garmin CN or Ibycus streets on the GPSr at the same time or showing at the same time or ? ??  ???  If you mean topo in one area and street only in another - the mapset would have to be build that way - but for what purpose?

QuoteI downloaded the state/county map that is transparent.
How do I add that to the topo or the street map?
I see the instructions on how to load a map, but how I load the transparent over the other map?
By your verbage, it sounds like you have the NC topo and a mapset with just streets but have not said which one.  All mapsets, or parts thereof, have to be loaded at the same time (you can not add or subtract files in the gmapsupp.img file - that is a pain, but the way Garmin designed it.

***   Open a mapset in MapSource, select the quads/tiles you are interested in - they will then be listed in the large box on the left.  Open the next mapset, select and they will be added to the list.
You can remove files from this list and I believe save the list.  After you have everything from all the mapsets, send the to the GPSr or SD card directly.

Overlay (transparent) is the way one mapset interacts with another.  A mapset is created as normal/base/non-overlay by the mapauthor when the files are created.  It can not be changed later.  Transparent is a 'bad' translation of a Polish term.  The files act as an overlay and are displayed after (on top of)  the 'normal' map.  You can hide/unhide individual files or an entire mapset via the menues on your GPSr.

astainback

On mixing maps..

If I had street info for NC, and topo for WV, all loaded as one img file.. so when I got to WV, I could use the topo part for riding ATVs, and the street part for driving in the truck.

So for NC area, load Ibycus streets.
For WV area, load topo.

Is that possible?

Also, I am just trying to learn how to overlay the county/state info over the street map and/or the topo maps.

Thanks,
Adrian

Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

Indrid Cold

You can do that Adrian, it's not a problem.

maps4gps

There is also a NC topo available.  You can create a gmapsupp.img with WV, either NC, and the co/st mapsets.

astainback

Thanks for the help!!

I think I am finally getting it.
I am trying to load the NC topo and the NE Topo 3 now.

Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR