GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Help to install map in Basecamp

Started by mwhitman, November 21, 2022, 02:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwhitman

I have not been able to install the CanadaCentralProvinces maps that I downloaded from this site into Basecamp. The download was a single IMG file, without any installer. I can copy to the SD card in my GPS and it works fine. I can also see that map in Basecamp when the GPS is attached to my PC. But I haven't been able to actually install the map in Basecamp, so I can use it without conncecting the GPS to the PC.

I have a Windows computer. Today I tried following the tutorial here, which says to use Mapset Toolkit and cGPSmapper. It appeared to run to conclusion, but then Basecamp refused to open. So I used another utility to remove the map from Basecamp, and now Basecamp opens fine like it did before I tried. But I still haven't installed the Central Provinces map.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Boyd

.img files are "containers" and the contents can be very different. What you have is (apparently) a map file to be used directly on a GPS. This is not the same kind of .img file that you can install in Basecamp. Mapset Toolkit and cgpsmapper cannot do what you want with that file. The map author would need to provide you the correct kind of installable files to actually accomplish what you want.

Alternately, you could copy the map file(s) to USB flash drive and put them in a folder named Garmin. Basecamp would treat that just like a GPS and read the map.

Only other solution I know is a "virtual device", which is directly supported on the Mac but unfortunately not on Windows. See the following discussion of ways to do the same kind of thing on Windows with third party apps

https://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

sockmonkey

It looks like you downloaded one of my maps 8)  What you have done works, with the .img file as you have done it.  Forget cgpsmapper and mapset toolkit in this case.  What I have done, and other map makers have done is offer maps in the gmapi format which works with Mac and Windows.  You don't actually install it, what you do is:
Download the MAC version of the map, CA-CentralProvTopo, extract with your favorite zip extractor, and you should have are 2 folder, one topo and one routeable, that ends in gmapi.  Click on the one you want until you get to CA-CentralProvxxxx.gmap (if you see Product1, etc you've gone one too far).  Copy this to  C:/ProgramData/Garmin/Maps (you may have to unhide folder and create those sub folders).  You should now be able to open Basecamp (or even Mapsource) and the map will be in the drop down of available maps.

Let us know how it goes!

jolly47roger

If you want to save space on your system disk, it is sufficient to copy a Shortcut to the GMAP folder instead of the folder itself.

Sometimes (for me, at least) Basecamp does not see the map in Program Data but does see it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp\Maps\

mwhitman

I've been away for the holidays. Now that I'm back, I tried Sockmonkey's procedure. I am happy to report that it worked perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for your help. And thanks for the maps too.

sockmonkey

:)  Happy to hear you were successful!!

bmcdo

Can't download the mac version of CA-EastProvTopo Map. Windows version ok.

sockmonkey

Hi.  I saw your post so I thought I'd look into it.  My default browser is Firefox and I never have issues downloading.  I tried a couple maps, including the Central Prov topo and was successful with the mac version.  I then opened a chrome based browser and tried to load the same files (mac) and it went to the next screen and stalled, nothing.  What I did next, worked.  Right click and the "here" if it is stalled or just right click on this link https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/download.php?map_id=836&mac=yes and you should have a copy link to choose from.  Open a blank/new tab and paste the link into the address bar and hit enter and the download prompt should appear.  This isn't a map or files depot issue, but a browser issue/quirk.  Give this a try and let us know how it goes.

Boyd

Is this the map in question?

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/833/downloadmac/

FWIW, I have no problems downloading that on my Mac with Safari on MacOS Monterey. If you have "hide my ip address" turned on, you might try turning that off, there are reports of it causing a variety of problems.

bmcdo

I tried using the link trick in chrome. it worked for ontario map but not eastern canada.  I then tried with MS Edge and it worked.
Thanks for the quick response and excellent suggestions. :)

sockmonkey

Thanks for reporting back!  That stuff at the end of the link is important, but I'm not web design smart enough to know why  :D

Do the same thing for this one , Eastern Canada/Maritimes if it's a problem.

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/download.php?map_id=833&mac=yes

Let us know what happens, thanks.

PS  IMHO, Having Firefox, even if it is the portable version and not your main browser is worth having around in this day and age for a variety of possible issues, this included.

mpmn04

Quote from: sockmonkey on November 21, 2022, 05:43:55 PM
Quote from: sockmonkey on November 21, 2022, 05:43:55 PMIt looks like you downloaded one of my maps 8)  What you have done works, with the .img file as you have done it.  Forget cgpsmapper and mapset toolkit in this case.  What I have done, and other map makers have done is offer maps in the gmapi format which works with Mac and Windows.  You don't actually install it, what you do is:
Download the MAC version of the map, CA-CentralProvTopo, extract with your favorite zip extractor, and you should have are 2 folder, one topo and one routeable, that ends in gmapi.  Click on the one you want until you get to CA-CentralProvxxxx.gmap (if you see Product1, etc you've gone one too far).  Copy this to  C:/ProgramData/Garmin/Maps (you may have to unhide folder and create those sub folders).  You should now be able to open Basecamp (or even Mapsource) and the map will be in the drop down of available maps.

Let us know how it goes!

Hello.
I Downloaded the MAC version of the map CA-EastProvTopo Map, extracted it, and placed the 2 gmap folders in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\MapInstall\Maps folder.
Mapsource recognizes the maps and opens them no problem.
Basecamp does not. And they do not show in its map product box.
I'm running Win 11 system. Basecamp is current ver.

Thank you
mpmn04

sockmonkey

mpmn04,

I did a test and had the opposite happen, the map showed in basecamp, but not in mapsource???  I use C:/ProgramData/Garmin/Maps (you may have to unhide folder and create those sub folders) as my default location for gmap format of my maps and those of other mapmakers and I don't have issues.  Give that a go and see what happens.  My maps have been made and used/tested on a Win 10 machine and basecamp version is 4.71 fwiw

mpmn04

sockmonkey,
You were right, the ProgramData folder was hidden. Copied folders over and the maps are showing in basecamp now.

Thank you for replying.

Mike

sockmonkey

Great news!  This should work for my maps or anyone else's for other readers that might have this or a similar issue.

SM