GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GpsMapEdit - Out of memory?

Started by nonamed, January 15, 2019, 06:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonamed

I am trying to load into GpsMapEdit 500MB *img file with map (container of maps) exported from Mapsource.

However during loading in GpsMapEdit I receive out of memory error:

How to solve it?

Windows 10 x64  24GB RAM

GpsMapEdit 2.1.78.10

popej

GPSMapEdit is a 32-bit application, which uses up to 2GB of memory. On 64-bit system you can increase this value to 4GB by patching exe header with editbin, but I doubt if this will help with your file.

When GPSMapEdit opens an img container, it shows its content as a list. You don't have to load all at once, you can select only some elements to load and then eventually repeat the same process with other elements.

nonamed

Quote from: popej on January 15, 2019, 10:39:21 AM
GPSMapEdit is a 32-bit application, which uses up to 2GB of memory. On 64-bit system you can increase this value to 4GB by patching exe header with editbin, but I doubt if this will help with your file.

When GPSMapEdit opens an img container, it shows its content as a list. You don't have to load all at once, you can select only some elements to load and then eventually repeat the same process with other elements.
Ok I can choose some of the elements and edit them. Then I am going to export them into MP format. But then how can I combine/join all those .MP files into one file and export to img map with cgsmapper.exe ?

popej

You can use action File -> Add in GPSMapEdit to join mp files. Please note, that cgpsmapper has a file size limit too, you won't be able to compile, if resulting mp file is too big.

nonamed

Quote from: popej on January 15, 2019, 03:28:07 PM
You can use action File -> Add in GPSMapEdit to join mp files. Please note, that cgpsmapper has a file size limit too, you won't be able to compile, if resulting mp file is too big.
Unfortunately even Add in option in GPSMapEdit result out of memory popup when trying to load few *.mp files at once .

Furthermore I can not find in Windows 10 x64 editbin program . Which component should I install to get this script?

popej

Editbin is a part of Microsoft developer tools, probably comes with Visual C++ or similar packets.

I'm quite sure, that if file is too big for GPSMapEdit, then it will be too big for cgpsmapper too. You should rather edit separate files and create an mapset with multiple img. Or maybe you could simplify files before merging. Please reconsider what are you going to do, because it doesn't look like GPSMapEdit is the limiting stage.

sandersg

I've never used cgpsMapper, only MapTk and the recommendation for that is map sizes should be kept to ~15 Mb.  Looking at an old gpsmapsupp file from mapsource it was made up of multiple maps corresponding to 7.5 minute USGS quads.  When compiling maps I've edited I get an img file per map.  Converting to GMAP format to enable adding to basecamp each individual image is added as a map tile (I believe, I'm certainly no expert and welcome correction if this is wrong) Viewing is seamless in basecamp so I *believe* the smaller map tiles are handled by the Garmin software.  In this manner I've been able to make maps consisting of multiple GB of .mp files.

The MapTk documentation is pretty comprehensive but only covers the compiling portion, not the map authoring portion.  BTW opening individual maps from the gpsmapsupp file wasn't a problem,  so much so in fact I've forgotten the specifics.