GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin eTrexH legacy software

Started by herbie, February 19, 2019, 11:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbie

I cant locate my original MapSource software for my etrex H for pc rebuild. Mapsource updates on Garmin site only work if legacy MapSource program installed. BaseMap does not work with serial devices (according to Garmin info). I love and rely on this device and wish to be able to make use of it. I am not having much luck with Garmin. Any chance someone has a copy please.

Boyd

Just install Basecamp on your computer first.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

The installation will place some files on your computer, and after that you should be able to install the Mapsource update from Garmin's site.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

This has always worked in the past. Did you try it? There are other ways to get the update to install if that doesn't work.

herbie

Thanks Boyd.
Did all that.
Garmin sais the Basecamp wont connect via serial connector. I have converter to usb but Basecamp doesn't see my device, so I guess they are correct on that one.
I just need a copy of MapSource. Surely Garmin still have one in their archives ? Or someone out there has a copy ?
Or do you have someother workaround please ?
cheers
and thanks

Boyd

I'm sorry, but you did not really READ what I wrote. I know that Basecamp does not work with serial devices. I did not say to USE Basecamp. I said to INSTALL Basecamp. After you have installed Basecamp you should then be able to install Mapsource from the link that I posted. Then you would USE Mapsource.

The problem with installing Mapsource for the first time is that it looks for Garmin "products" on your computer. If it doesn't find any, then it will not install. This is why you couldn't install it. But if you install Basecamp first, then Mapsource will find a "Garmin product" and it should install properly.

This time, actually do what I said, then see if it works. If it does not, then I can suggest another approach. But this has always worked in the past, and in fact, there's a tutorial on this site that says the same thing. https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

Boyd

Just to save posting again, if what I suggested really doesn't work, install the free JaVaWa GMTK program. It should permit you to install the Mapsource update because it also provides the resources that the installer looks for.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

"The downloadable version of MapSource is an update version, that refuses to install when no older version exists. JaVaWa GMTK prepares, when necessary, automatically your PC so that MapSource will install properly."

herbie

Thanks Boyd. I did all that but still nothing. Only Basecamp. So did again nothing, then again and it popped up as Mapsource installed and icon available. Recognising my device too so will grab some data tomorrow and test it all out. Thanks for your help. Cheers

herbie

Another thin I have just realised, part way through for an entirely different reason, I had done a regedit to add more admin install rights. Maybe that was helpful with win 10. Anyhow it is now available. cheers

Boyd

Don't really understand all of that.... but it sounds like you got it working, so that's great. :)

herbie

Hi Boyd. No not working and Garmin not responding positively. If I install BaseCamp then MapSource update (as on Garmin site) I gat a version of MapSource that wont recognise my eTrex H. Likely because the MapSource is installed off the install of BaseCamp. BaseCamp wont run the eTrex. Device Manager sees my eTrex.
Garmin sais now that they don't support the eTrexH I have, but my docs with it say they will for the life of the device.
Then they say that the MapSource is available etc.- but that is the update. I don't think they are really interested, paying attention or care. Their Help person has given me a mobile number that is not connected and continues to give me it despite being told of my experience. They just keep repeating the same unhelpful advice.
I have the device working well, it connects to the computer and is recognised by windows 10, my NatMaps are working fine but I cant use it because of the Garmin software does not recognising the device. You would have to recon that they would have an archival copy of the Legacy software for the eTrexH. But they do not respond to that part of the question at all. Where would be the best place to post with a chance of connecting with someone with a copy do you think ?
cheers
Darrell

Boyd

Sorry Darrell, but that just does not make sense to me. I have said it more than once, and will say it again. The version of Mapsource on Garmin's site is the only version. It is still used by thousands - possibly millions of people. If the program opens and lets you view maps, then it is working. As to why it doesn't recognize the GPS, I have no idea. There may be a problem inside the GPS. The fact that your computer sees the device does not mean it's functioning properly. I believe the eTrex H was introduced in 2007, and these things don't last forever. :)

What are you trying to do? Just send waypoints and tracks? Or are you trying to send maps? If it's waypoints and tracks, there are other programs that should be able to do that. EasyGPS is one of them, although I have never used it. https://www.easygps.com

What are "NatMaps"?