GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Great maps! - any vertical profile yet?

Started by Huckleberry, May 22, 2009, 10:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckleberry

I know I'm getting greedy - paid $220 for this thing (Garmin Vista HCx) and want to use all its features. 

This site will turn out to save me a hundred bucks if I can get the maps into basecamp and use vertical profiling. 

Otherwise I feel obligated to bight the bullet for this feature. 
If someone can tell me how to get the vertical profile I think I could even settle for something other than basecamp and donating part of what I would have spent. 

I have not been having the most fun trying to change waypoint labels and such in MapSource.  The labels seem to default to the elevation which takes too much screen space.  I know there are other editors out there but at this point I've burned 8hrs (probably more) just to avoid giving Garmin $120 or so.  If this was my day job at about $XX per hour, well, let's just say the economics of this venture are dropping faster than our economy.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Huckleberry on May 22, 2009, 10:41:59 PM
This site will turn out to save me a hundred bucks if I can get the maps into basecamp and use vertical profiling.  

Otherwise I feel obligated to bight the bullet for this feature.  
If someone can tell me how to get the vertical profile I think I could even settle for something other than basecamp and donating part of what I would have spent.  

None of the maps on this site are compatible with BaseCamp as none of them have the embedded .DEM info that is required.

To get vertical profiles, you can draw a track in MapSource, save the track as a .gpx file, and then upload it here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input

I'm sure there are other ways that might be acceptable to you.

-Oz-

It would be really nice if cgpsmapper could load the dem files into the maps... hopefully soon
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Huckleberry

Thanks for the link!  Definately looks like more than a 5 minute deal...I'll spend some time looking at it next week.  If I can't figure it out then blah...will have to give up some hard earned cash.

I really appreciate your site.  If I get into this hobby any further I'll have to find some way to contribute.  I don't have a lot of programming in my background.  I saw NW Trails is willing to take info from my hiking trips for their trail DB.  Is there anything remedial like that I can do for your site?

Best regards,
Hucklberry

-Oz-

Any trails anywhere I/we will take too.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Huckleberry

Will do then.  I expect to have an active summer if I can ever get over a stupid injury (tried to do too much in to little time)..