GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

loading on card

Started by roboh010, April 19, 2009, 12:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roboh010

MapInstall (mac version) does not allow me to download garmin maps directly onto micro card installed in card reader.
Card is mounted on desktop, but MapInstall will not recognize the micro card nor find it when clicking the "Find Device" button.
Tried with/without Legend HCx mounted. Running mac OS10.4.11 and latest MapInstall version.
Am I overlooking something?
thanks! rh

roboh010

The card is "no name" and it is recognized by MapInstall when in the Legend HCx unit. The card reader is plugged into the mac directly, but the reader is one of these gimmicky 4-way deals with several USB ports on the back. I guess that might make it a hub.
I'll try to round up simpler usb card reader and/or change the card name.
thanks, rh

roboh010

Tried simple card reader without hub; won't recognize in MapInstall.
Tried renaming card, no luck
Apparently Garmin writes  off-the-shelf SanDisk card when in gps so that it cannot be modified. I tried renaming a 1g card, but it's permissions are locked and cannot be altered. Same with mac disk repair. Tried reformatting the card from scratch. The entire volume cannot be reformatted/repartitioned/touched. None of the disk tool buttons are active.
Knowing Garmin, I'm thinking this is a control that is written into the card/gps communication
rh

-Oz-

If the card came withe prebuilt maps then you can't add anything to it.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

roboh010

The card is not Garmin brand. The 1g card is a SanDisk I purchased new/blank to use in the Legend. How the restricted permissions were applied to the card is a mystery to me. Maybe in its use in the gps or through MapInstall?
thanks

-Oz-

That is weird; is there a little slidey thing at the edge of the card that is locking it (or the adapter)?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

peppersprout

I am getting ready to purchase my first GPS unit and am trying to learn as much as I can about all this technical stuff first.

So - from some of these discussions it seems like I would need to upload all the different maps I want on a card at the same time?   Does it overwrite a map already on the card when you copy a new map to the card?    I was thinking of getting a 4 or 8 GB card so that I could have many maps on one card.  Should I get several 2 GB cards instead?

I have decided to purchase a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx and was looking at a SanDisk 4GB Class 4 micro SDHC card.   

-Oz-

Yes it will overwrite whatever is on the card.

So yea you load all the maps on the card at the same time.

I like having one card for everything; that way I don't have to change cards in the field.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

peppersprout

Thank you Oz.  I do not want to be changing cards in the field either.   So - will my Garmin 60Cx take a 6 or 8 GB card do you think?  I have ordered my GPS and am so excited to get it.  I have been geocaching without one for a while now.