GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Thank you!!!

Started by JayMc, May 04, 2009, 06:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMc

I just discovered this website and I have to say thanks for all of your hardwork.  I have not ventured into making my own electronic maps yet, but I hope to find some way to contribute.  The topos I've downloaded so far are quite remarkable....much better than anything I've purchased from Garmin.

Thanks!

JayMc

Indrid Cold

What area/maps are you using?

JayMc

So far I've looked at TN, TX, WY, and NE.  All are areas I hunt.

My Vista is 5 years old and has been great.  I keep waiting for it to die so I can justify an upgrade, but it's like an Energizer bunny.  It loads these detailed maps very slowly.  Will a newer unit load them faster?

I took a hike near home today and panning the map and zooming in/out was a slow process.  That might be my reason for an upgrade  ;D

Indrid Cold

Well the USB will be faster than the RS-232 serial interface. Those with memory cards can speed up the load time by using a high-speed card reader/writer.

JayMc

It's not the time to load it onto my GPS, it's the time to load while using the GPS.  I.e. the wait for the screen to refresh if I pan the map, zoom in/out, or move faster than a walking pace.

Does that make sense?  It's like the GPS is rendering the view much slower with more map detail.  That makes sense, but I'm wondering if a newer model will refresh the screen faster.

Indrid Cold

The new units have faster processors, so yes they are faster. Also note that 24K maps have larger data files so they will be slower than 100K maps on the same GPS unit.

-Oz-

Glad its working for you.

Which Vista, just the plain Vista?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

JayMc

The plain Vista purchased in 2003 or 2004.  I've used it a lot through the years and it keeps right on going.  I do update the software as updates are available.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!