GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question about the Arizona Topo

Started by Pooneil, March 17, 2016, 07:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooneil

I installed the latest Arizona Topo in Basecamp in anticipation of a trip in a few weeks.  When viewing the trails there appears to be multiple tracks for the trails, some of which are offset by some distance (about 0.13 miles) compared to the GPS tracks from hikearizona.com (the grey lines) and the other trails on the map.     

Can someone give me some guidence on how best to read this map.  My intention was to point others in our group with GPSrs to this map as a guide for our hike, but many of them would be confused by the multiple paths shown. So I feel it can be used for this purpose. 

-Oz-

The trails shown on the map are from the USGS or National Forest Service. The multiple trail problem likely means other trails exist or used to exist per those sources.  A few of the locations have trails based on people hiking it but the Chiricahua's are not one of those locations. 

If Hike Arizona would release all the trail data in one lump sum I would delete every single trail on the Arizona Topo and replace it with their data since it is likely more accurate.  However, I can find a quick way to download them all or anything like that.

If someone is willing to download all the trail files I would take them and add them in immediately.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Pooneil

Thanks.  I've run into the tracks being offset from actual trial on some sources.  It makes for a mess sometimes.  For a small area it is not too difficult to double check manually.  For a whole state it would be a lot of work.

As a new member of  Hike Arizona, I've found the website unintuitive, but it is getting easier to use. 

Thanks for your efforts.   

-Oz-

I agree on unintuitive; if you figure out an efficient way just let me know and I'll start downloading.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!