GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map downloads wont load to basecamp

Started by sethd513, March 10, 2016, 07:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sethd513

new to the gps world here. i am using an older mac book MAC OS X Version 10.6.8 and im assuming an older version of base camp. i just bought a new garmin oregon 600 and im trying to just do a simple download from the filedepot and upload to base camp. the files are coming into my downloads but when i go to import out of base camp the files arent coming up under the "readable file" option. if i click "all files" then i can now click on the downloaded topo but then it wont import into base camp. these files are coming in as newenglandtopo.tar( and or ending in .gmapi .tgz.download ) Files ending in .gpx upload will upload with no issue though. any help would be great. thank you

Boyd

Not familiar with that specific map, however if you double-click the .tar file, it should open in Archive Utility on the Mac and you should be able to extract a .gmapi file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive_Utility

Make sure Basecamp is properly installed. If so, then you will also have a program named Garmin MapManager in your Applications folder. When you double-click the .gmapi file that you downloaded, MapManger should start and ask if you want to install the map. If this isn't happening, then you probably don't have MapManager, or there is a problem with it.

In that case, you will need to re-install the appropriate version of Basecamp/MapManager or you won't be able to use the map. The legacy version of Basecamp is here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4939

sethd513

The map manager makes it into a .gmap file which when I import it doesn't say anything, just nothing happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boyd

You don't need to "import" anything. Did MapManager ask if you want to install the map and did you say yes? If so, then it should be all ready to use. In Basecamp. look at the Maps menu. It should be listed there.

Basecamp is a little different from most programs when it comes to map. You don't "import" or "open" maps. You install them with MapManager. After then have been installed, they remain in Basecamp and can be selected from the Map menu.

What is listed in the Map menu? If you run MapManager, the topo map should also be listed there.

sethd513

I finally started to get the stuff onto basecamp and the garmin started to crash and stopped working completely. I retuned it. Back to the old fashion way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk