GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

how to go from QGIS to GPSMapEdit?

Started by RCinSTP, November 27, 2015, 12:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCinSTP

I have a map created with QGIS and I need to convert the map to Garmin .img format.  The only way I know how to convert to .img format is with GPSMapEdit.   How can I save or export the map from QGIS to some format that I can open with GPSMapEdit?
Or, is there a different software that I can use to create a .img file and will that software work with whatever I can get from QGIS.
As far as I can see, with QGIS, I can only save as various image formats.

Indrid Cold

This would depend on if your map containers vector, raster or a combination of both types of data. If only vector, then you can use shapefile formal with GPSMapEdit.

RCinSTP

My map in QGIS in made of 7 separate shape files.  All of the data is vector.  With GPSMapEdit I can add each of the shapes files, the same as I did in QGIS.  Is there some way to avoid re-creating the map by saving or exporting all the shapefiles as one file that can be opened with GPSMapEdit?

Indrid Cold

You can combine shapefiles with a merge function. But you can only merge like types of geometries: points, polylines or polygons. So if all seven layers are points, they may be merged, but if your map contains all three types you will need three shapefiles. Now you would want to add an attribute first to designate the MP_TYPE of each record before merging so you will be able to assign each to the correct element in GPSMapEdit.

RCinSTP

If you merge 2 polygons in ArcMap, one polygon represents lakes, the other polygon represents forest. You can add that single merged polygon in GPSMapEdit as a Lake or a Forest with all the same color.

RCinSTP

I re-created the map by adding all the individual shape files in GPSMapEdit.  Then I used TYPViewer to edit a .typ file to get all the colors correct.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: RCinSTP on November 29, 2015, 10:12:08 AM
If you merge 2 polygons in ArcMap, one polygon represents lakes, the other polygon represents forest. You can add that single merged polygon in GPSMapEdit as a Lake or a Forest with all the same color.

Not when you select the attribute to define the type. See my post above or better yet, read and understand the following tutorial:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-8---combining-data/