News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to Overlay 2 maps

Started by padlnjones66, May 25, 2015, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

padlnjones66

Hi,

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

I DL'd the Boundary Waters campsite and portages map, and the MN topo map,.  How can I display them simultaneously in Base camp?

thx

Indrid Cold

BaseCamp does not allow that, you can only have multiple maps displayed on your gps

Boyd

The MyTrails author has provided a way to use his overlay in basecamp with another map. Since I don't use MyTrails, I have not looked at what he has done, but you can check it out here. Guessing that it involves converting the map objects to a .gpx file.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

QuoteNEW FEATURE:  Lots of people rightfully are not happy that in BaseCamp/Mapsource you can only see one map at a time.  That is because Garmin won't modify the programs to allow it.  That stops you from seeing My Trails on top of other maps.  My Trails is also not routable.  I like using tracks and the follow track much better than a routable trail on the map.  As of the July 28, 2014 version, you can now extract the trails for noncommercial personal use.  Then you can import the tracks into BaseCamp and show them on top of other maps.  It also allows you to use the tracks to send to the GPS to follow the track.  It is a pretty simple process.  The directions are in the Read Me file that is installed in C:\Garmin\My Trails. This only works on a PC.  If someone can figure out a process for a MAC, let me know.

BobT

Boyd is correct, JBenson now lets you download his gpx tracks.  I do the same with all of my maps, but our maps are maps of tracks so it is easy to do if you are willing to give your tracks away.  I didn't bulldoze any of my trails/tracks, I just map them so I figure they are everybody's trails/tracks.
Also by letting people have your gpx tracks they can use them on Android devices.  People who sell maps of tracks will not give their tracks out.  But in my hobby everyone is quickly converting to Android and IOS since you can get huge tablets refurbed or new for a hundred bucks, much cheaper and better than a $500 Garmin or Lowrance.

Indrid Cold

Whatever Jim is doing has nothing to do with displaying the two maps mentioned in the OP unless I'm miss reading it. Displaying .gpx files on a map is not the same as displaying two maps  simultaneously.

Boyd

That is true. However you can display two maps simultaneously in Basecamp. But one of them must be a raster map (Garmin Custom Map). You can find these here at GPSFileDepot by going here and checking the box "Garmin Custom (Imagery)" under "Search by Map Features" - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

These maps are .kmz files and there are some pretty severe limitations when loading them on a GPS (they must be very small). But Basecamp doesn't have that limitation, so you can load very large .kmz raster imagery.

Another option would be to purchase one of Garmin's Birdseye products such as satellite imagery or USGS topo maps. They cost $30 for unlimited downloads and you can display they along with transparent overlays like the OP wants to use

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod70144.html
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod98816.html

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on May 26, 2015, 06:03:43 AM
That is true. However you can display two maps simultaneously in Basecamp. But one of them must be a raster map (Garmin Custom Map).

Once again, nothing to do with the OP. The OP is looking to display 2 raster mapsets in BaseCamp.

Garmin Custom Maps do not show in the Maps dropdown in BaseCamp as Garmin classifies these as Overlays, not maps. Are they maps? Well yes they are but in the example given in the OP, no they are not. And neither of the mapsets mentioned in the OP are available as Garmin Custom Maps.

So how can you solve the issue of the OP? How do you display the two vector mapsets mentioned in the OP? Is it possible? Can BaseCamp display the two vector mapsets at the same time?

Boyd

I cannot solve the OP's exact problem of displaying the vector MN topo with the boundary waters overlay in Basecamp. I was suggesting some alternatives however. He could display the boundary waters overlay on top of the USGS 24k topo map of MN using Birdseye topo in Basecamp for example.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on May 26, 2015, 08:50:20 AM
I cannot solve the OP's exact problem of displaying the vector MN topo with the boundary waters overlay in Basecamp. I was suggesting some alternatives however. He could display the boundary waters overlay on top of the USGS 24k topo map of MN using Birdseye topo in Basecamp for example.
fair enough, that does help him out

padlnjones66

Thanks to everyone for the discussion and  suggestions.  i was at least able to confirm that both maps display in the GPS at the same time.

jbensman

My Trails has all the campsites and portages (I used the same data source).  What Boyd was talking about is with My Trails I allow (and give directions) on how to extract tracks and POIs from My Trail and then import them as tracks and waypoints into BaseCamp.  So what he asks about can be accomplished with My Trails instead of the Boundary Water map. 

I found a program once that let you combine maps on a card and then you could plug the card in a reader and basecamp would show both maps at once, but only one typ file works.  I 

Indrid Cold

Seems a bit easier to just point him to the original .gpx files then having to convert them. That works with both Macintosh and Windoz.

I found this lot rather quickly:
http://w3.cs.jmu.edu/arch/hobbies/camp/maps/bwca/