News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Need help with maps on Oregon 600

Started by oldbuck, December 25, 2013, 06:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbuck

Hello all,
I would REALLY appreciate help with showing maps on my Garmin Oregon 600.
When I look at the maps stored and then maps I want to show the list is different.
Some topo maps I cannot show.
Is there anyone out there who would be willing to spend a few minutes on the phone with me? This old guy will really appreciate the help.
Thanks
oldbuck

Seldom

Before anybody can help they will need more info.

Whose maps, from this site or Garmin's, or somewhere else?  We usually only support maps posted on this site, so include links to the maps you are having trouble with.

Do you have BaseCamp installed and do ALL your maps show up in BaseCamp?

Do you have CityNavigator installed on your 600?  To see many maps from this site you may need to disable City Navigator.  Transparent maps (for example, just contours) will show over CityNavigator, but many non-transparent maps will need CityNavigator disabled (not removed from the 600, just turned off).

oldbuck

The maps do appear in base camp, just cannot show them on the GPS. I do not have city navigator loaded.
If you supply an email address I will send a file that shows that I have loaded.
Thanks for your help.
Joe

Seldom

Can you see them listed on the GPSr, just not visible on the screen?  If so, try disabling all but one and see if you can see it.

oldbuck

Hello,
Please review a screen shot of the files on the gps and also on base camp, see attached. Maybe that would enable you to figure this out for me.
Thanks

Seldom

Not likely I'll be able to figure it out, unless you tell me which, if any of the maps you list are visible on your 600.  Also, is the Topo 2008 a Garmin Product? And, have you tried disabling maps, as I suggested?

Boyd

FWIW, Topo US 2008 is a Garmin product. The name was changed to Topo US 100k afterward. I always wondered if they just changed the name so that 2008 wouldn't sound obsolete, or if they actually updated the maps.  ;)

oldbuck

reply to #5.
Topo 2008 is Garmin. If by disable you mean choosing only one map on the gps list on, then yes. Please comment on what "disable" means if not what I said. I made a note on the attachment I sent, "Map Files on my Garmin Oregon 600 as viewed via Base Camp softwaree"
Thanks for your help.

Seldom

Disable means select only one map at a time to show on the GPSr.  I don't own an OR600, so I can't tell you the key sequence to do that. On your screenshot I saw what BaseCamp lists as present on your 600.  Is that what you can select from on the 600?  If they are all listed then disable all but one, and then see if you can see it individually. 

You'll need to ask Garmin for support on their products.

Boyd

Note there's a potential "gotcha" with Topo 2008. Maps are divided into small "tiles" and your GPS has a limit of 4000 such tiles. There is no standard tile size, it's up to the mapmaker. The Topo 2008 tiles are very small and there are about 6500 of them if you try to load the entire US.

This would exceed the limit of the GPS, and when you do that, strange things happen (some maps will not be shown). So be careful not to load too much of that map on your Oregon, especially when combining with other maps or you will exceed the segment limit.

I don't use Mapinstall much myself, but I think it will show how many segments you have chosen. Personally I still use Mapsource (Garmin's old software) and it definitely shows the total segments.

oldbuck

Hello,
I only select one map at a time on the Oregon 600(that is all it allows me to do) The Garmin map shows fine, its the maps downloaded from this site that I cannot seem to use, I can see it in Base Camp but not on the GPS. I doubt Garmin will help with that. Thanks again for trying to help!

Boyd

Something is wrong there. You should definitely be able to choose more than one map to enable at a time (if you want to).

Maybe this will help? http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com

oldbuck

OK....Senior moment here...I can select multiple maps...just checked.

Prob is that maps from this site...the one from PA has more detail than garmin topo 2008, I can see it on base camp but not on the GPS. Sure is frustrating.

The new Oregon 600 is great in all other aspects...except this one. It's very fast and easy to open other windows and do all the things I need to do.

I am a hiker and bow hunter, so far I really like it for those purposes. I hope I can solve this problem (with some help  ha ha)

Thanks

Boyd

It might help identify the problem if you remove all maps BUT the PA topo. If it works then, you can gradually add more maps until you find what is causing the problem. With the free maps, it's possible that more than one map might contain the same internal ID and that will cause trouble.

oldbuck

Great idea, I will try that as soon as I can figure out how to remove/uninstall the map from gps. Should I use base camp or connectit  to my pc and open file location and delete it?
Thanks