GPSFileDepot.com

GPSMapEdit Error E032: Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty.

Started by babj615, July 23, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

Just being old fashioned, I guess.  I don't like applications making function calls I don't understand.  The one output that you have that surprises me is the DEM.  If it's a real DEM, I didn't think we knew how to do that.

popej

This is a result of creating a PC mapset from a commercial map. No surprise it is locked. DEM and locked TDB are created by gmaptool, used by MapSetToolKit instead of cpreview.

babj615

Quote from: popej on July 24, 2013, 07:09:32 PM
This is a result of creating a PC mapset from a commercial map. No surprise it is locked. DEM and locked TDB are created by gmaptool, used by MapSetToolKit instead of cpreview.

All OSM data in my map. Nothing commercial, unless OSM has commercial data included. As I stated, the *.mp files I choose do not make the difference, the number of *.mp files I compile does.

Please download this small example and see if you can get it installed into MapSource without needing a key to use it after: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44223181/Map%20Issues/Needs%20Key/Needs%20Key.zip

Also, please point out the commercial content, if you find any.

Thank You!

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

babj615

OK, the issue appears to be with GPSMapEdit (I am using v2.0).

I found another windows program that can compile *.mp files into IMG files, which is primarily what I was using GPSMapEdit to do.

I simply substituted the new software IMG file in place of the GPSMapEdit IMG file, used MSTK again to install the map into MapSource, and MapSource opens and allows me to view my map without issue!

I sent the map from MapSource to my Montana 650 for verification, and some segments are missing from my map, although they are visible in MapSource, and some others are MIA from both MapSource and the Montana. :(

SO my convoluted workflow is now:

Use GM to search for and extract specific data types within *.shp files, and export as GPX.
Use GPSMapEdit to import, catalog and sort/align GPX files, exporting final product as *.mp.
Use MapTK to compile IMG from *.mp
Use MSTK to install IMG into MapSource

Still having other issue with MapTK software, however, so I would very much like to determine how I can stop the Map Key issue as described.....

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s

popej

Quote from: babj615 on July 24, 2013, 09:15:13 PMPlease download this small example
I confirm, that this file create locked TDB and DEM. It should be some kind of error in gmaptool or MapSetToolKit, I will look at it later.

To get your map installed, remove gmaptool from MapSetToolKit, then it will work with cgpsmapper. You can set "Blank overview map" to make it easy and fast. Without this option, cpreview will need all *.idx files and I'm not sure if MapSetToolKit copy them to destination directory.

babj615

Quote from: popej on July 25, 2013, 03:31:16 AM
Quote from: babj615 on July 24, 2013, 09:15:13 PMPlease download this small example
I confirm, that this file create locked TDB and DEM. It should be some kind of error in gmaptool or MapSetToolKit, I will look at it later.

To get your map installed, remove gmaptool from MapSetToolKit, then it will work with cgpsmapper. You can set "Blank overview map" to make it easy and fast. Without this option, cpreview will need all *.idx files and I'm not sure if MapSetToolKit copy them to destination directory.

Well, removing GMAP tool certainly stopped the locked map issue, but as you may have guessed, the map is now quite garbled and unusable.

popej

Creating mapset with blank preview is equivalent of gmaptool procedure. Better map you can get using cgpsmapper/cpreview to create full preview.

Problems with locked map is caused by a bug in gmaptool. You can bypass it if you add one more level to your map.

DEM is a problem with MapSetToolKit, it request gmaptool to add empty DEM layer to created maps. If you want to remain at gmaptool procedure, then use GMapTool GUI instead of MapSetToolKit:

babj615

Added one additional layer to the *.mp, exported IMG, used MSTK to install new IMG into MapSource without GMapTool, but with blank preview, and no more locked image.

Interstingly, not all map detail is displayed in MapSource/BaseCamp, and some detail is shown at random zoom levels.

I rechecked my *.mp, set all to level 0, repeat process, same results.

BUT, sending the map to my Montana, all map detail appears as I expect, so much as I have checked, while same details are not properly rendered in MapSource/BaseCamp.